Wednesday, September 8, 2021

West Bloomfield has their new Girls Basketball Coach.

Written Wednesday September 8th at 3:00 PM

West Bloomfield has their new girls basketball coach in Darrin McAllister.

McAllister takes over for Coach Bert Mosley whom shockingly stepped down this past summer. The Lakers have also confirmed that former Southfield High Girls Basketball Coach Jamie Glinz whom works as a teacher in the district is an assistant coach.

McAllister is a well known name in the basketball world. He coached at Waterford Kettering for one season. McAllister is also known from his AAU days coaching the Mystics which features players like Samantha Brady, Markayla Holland, Irene Schoof, among others.

He also coached at Wayne State for four years in. They won a GLIAC championship under his watch. He also led them to the second round of the NCAA Tournament which included a season high 23 wins.

McAllister is well known for developing talent. He has Summer Davis, Indya Davis, Mya Hooper, Sydney Hendrix, and Kendall Hendrix coming back. 

West Bloomfield is in the Red with Clarkston, Troy, Stoney Creek, Royal Oak, Groves, and Southfield Arts and Tech this season. The Lakers are in a very tough district even though they are the hosts. They have Birmingham Marian, North Farmington, Groves, Seaholm, and Bloomfield Hills.

Thoughts

This is a very interesting hire and it's something I'm very curious about. I'm not sure if McAllister is the long term solution for the program. Glinz brings his fair share of experience as well. Program strength is a major red flag when looking at the Lakers. McAllister really struggled in developing program strength when he was at Waterford Kettering in his only season there.

West Bloomfield should be the favorite in the Red with the experience they have coming back. Stoney Creek, Troy, and Clarkston should be their top challengers. Once the postseason comes Birmingham Marian will likely stand in the way if the Lakers want to get back to the regionals.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with West Bloomfield this season.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

West Bloomfield Girls Basketball Meeting.

https://westbloomfieldathletics.com/2021/09/08/girls-basketball-meeting-friday-september-10th-to-meet-coach-mcallister/

West Bloomfield Athletic Director Eric Pierce Statement.

https://westbloomfieldathletics.com/2021/09/08/darrin-mcallister-is-named-the-new-girls-varsity-basketball-coach-for-the-lakers/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.