Thursday, September 9, 2021

Berkley has their new Girls Basketball Coach.

Written Thursday September 9th at 11:40 PM

Updated Friday September 10th at 11:10 PM

Well just as I wrote the Coach Kirk Carolan departure to Macomb Community College it seems that Berkley has found their replacement to coach the Girls Basketball program.

According to an accurate source the Bears went with Ben Bancroft to coach the program.

Bancroft is currently the school's physical education teacher.

He played Boys Basketball at Royal Oak Dondero in the 1990's playing for legendary coach Jerry Barich. He was also a four year standout at Albion in college.

Bancroft has coached Boys Basketball at Anderson Middle School. He has coached Girls Basketball for six years before stepping down. Bancroft was the junior varsity coach for four years and has ran the the girls basketball camp every summer.

Bancroft has some proven talent in Ashley Loon, Ava Beard, Aurora Sousanis, and Sammi Withrow coming back. He is going to have to lean on these four players to be successful.

Berkley is in a really tough spot. They are in the White with Lake Orion, Oxford, Troy Athens, Adams, Rochester, North Farmington, and Bloomfield Hills. The district isn't any better with Oak Park, Detroit Renaissance, Royal Oak, and Detroit Mumford at Detroit Renaissance.

Thoughts

Program strength is a major concern when looking at the Bears. Berkley loses the four mentioned above next season. We don't know if Bancroft is going to be there long term for the program.

What should help is Bancroft is in the building and can get to know the players. He needs to build a program and trust. This is where program strength comes into play. 

It's going to take time for Bancroft, the players, parents, and coaches to get to know one another and there has to be a transition during the season which is even more challenging.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.