Thursday, May 4, 2017

MHSAA Rules Two Clawson Players that transfered Ineligible due to Athletic Reasons.

Written Thursday May 4th at 11:30 AM
Updated Thursday May 4th at 6:00 PM

Well it’s a start but it doesn’t fix the problem.

According to State Champs, Tom Markowski, the MHSAA handed down a ruling that two students whom transferred from Clawson to Waterford Mott in March were deemed athletically ineligible for one school year.

The MHSAA decided that the transfers was athletically motivated.

The move means that the two players have to sit out the entire school year (180 Days) meaning that they wouldn’t be able to play sports for one school year at Waterford Mott. It’s to my understanding that both players play football and basketball.

The one year ban will begin in August in which both players will be Juniors next season.

According to Markowski, Clawson administrators filed a complaint with the MHSAA surrounding the transfers of these student athletes. Waterford Mott then send a rebuttal but Clawson responded to the rebuttal believing the students were transferring to Waterford Mott because of athletic reasons.

The league believed Clawson and informed Waterford Mott about their decision to keep the two players sidelined.

Waterford Mott officials were not punished like what happened last season surrounding their football team when they were caught having an illegal gathering and undue influence with student athletes to play at Waterford Mott.

The MHSAA found no evidence of influence surrounding these two student athletes.

Markowski in his blog wrote something really interesting but true. "If the players original school whom they are transferring out of doesn’t speak up and send their case to the MHSAA, then the league can’t do anything about it."

Maybe this is a wake-up call to everyone involved???

I wonder if this decision will get other schools to follow suit what Clawson did???

It's possible.

I know this subject is up for debate but you see schools like Detroit Cass Tech, Detroit Martin Luther King, Walled Lake Western, West Bloomfield, Waterford Mott, Macomb Dakota, Southfield Arts and Tech, among others have brought in transfers in the past. Some of these schools still continue it to do it to this day. The reason why students want to leave their original school is mainly because of these three issues that students and even parents have. The first issue is playing time for the student, they want to play. The second issue is that the student doesn't like the system that the coach has put in. The third issue, and I think this is the main issue why students want to transfer out and that's because the student feels that they have a better opportunity going somewhere else with their parents blessing and at getting looked at for a College Scholarship.

Many of these student athletes have taken advantage of the third issue by using the academic card to hide the belief that the transfer out of the original school is athletically motivated because of the belief that the student would go to a powerhouse school, become a star, and get that College Scholarship along the way.

Sometimes it doesn't work that way.

I’ve said this so many times in my podcast, OAA Now. I don’t have a problem if a student’s family moves in district, they can play right away because they are in district. What I do have a problem with is for example if a kid is from a suburban school in Oakland County and they wanted to transfer to Detroit to play for the likes Detroit Cass Tech and/or Detroit Martin Luther King and they still live in that Oakland County suburb then if the student wants to transfer then they must sit out for 180 days.

I also think that this rule should apply to those who are leaving from a public school for a Catholic League School but that’s for another day and another time.

The MHSAA got this one right, maybe this could be a wake-up call to everyone involved to think twice about transferring out and if they want to transfer out, then they know what the consequences are.

Here is the article written by Tom Markowski here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.