Wednesday, May 10, 2017

MHSAA Releases New Locations for Wrestling and Girls Basketball State Finals.

Written Wednesday May 10th at 11:00 AM

The Girls Basketball State semifinals and finals will have a new home along with Wrestling.

Girls Basketball State semifinals and finals will move from the Breslin Center on the campus of Michigan State to the Van Norrad Arena in Grand Rapids. The Van Norrad Arena is the home of Calvin College.

The Individual Wrestling finals will be held at Ford Field in Detroit while the Team Wrestling finals will be at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo, the home of the Michigan Kalamazoo Wings.

The moves to different locations were approved by the MHSAA Representative council. The moves were necessary to accommodate the NCAA Women’s Basketball tournament if Michigan State were to host any games of the tournament.

The Palace of Auburn Hills was closing their doors which forced a move to Ford Field.

Thoughts.

I’ve been in Wings Stadium, it’s a beautiful place in Kalamazoo. I always loved seeing the Michigan Kalamazoo Wings when they were the Dallas Stars International Hockey League affiliate.

Ford Field made sense to host the individual wrestling finals.

I’m curious about the Girls Basketball State semifinals and finals being located in Grand Rapids at Calvin College. Well I’ve haven’t been there but I’ve been to Grand Rapids. I thought the Van Andel Arena, home of the Grand Rapids Griffins would have been a better fit to handle the tournament but the MHSAA believed that the Van Norrad Arena was a good location for the MHSAA to handle the tournament.

It will be interesting to see what happens and also if an OAA school gets to either Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, or Ford Field.

We’ll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.