Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Gruppen Out at Berkley.

Written Wednesday May 31st at 8:50 PM

First it was football when Chris Sikora stepped down at Berkley, now it's Girls Basketball with Jordan Gruppen stepping down.

Gruppen stepped down on Wednesday afternoon after spending eight seasons behind the Bears bench.

Gruppen wrote on the Berkley Bears Girls Basketball Facebook page his decision to step down. "It is with a heavy heart I am announcing that I am resigning as Head Girls Basketball Coach at Berkley High. I am forever grateful for anyone and everyone that has been a part of this journey. It has been a privilege to lead a great group of young women on and off the court for the last seven to eight years. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears have gone into it for everyone. Through the highs and lows we were able to learn life lessons by teaching the game of basketball. I am very proud of what the girls have been able to accomplish both on and off the court in my time here. It may be a good bye but it is not the end. I look forward  to supporting the girls and the program in any way possible going forward. A big thank you goes out to the players both current and former. You have made a great impact on me, I wish you the best and I cannot thank you enough. I will still be one of your biggest fans! Go Bears!"

Gruppen finished the 2016-2017 season at 17-5, which was his best season. The Bears lost to Detroit Renaissance in the district semifinals. He finished his eight year coaching career in Berkley with a 89-63 record.

The Bears have had some great players come through the program including players such as Celia Somers and Zoe Anderson. Somers was a four year player for Gruppen and is currently playing College Basketball.

Berkley will have Olivia Dicarlo, Marshayla Denham, Natalie Barber, and Savanna Casida back next season.

Thoughts.

I am very sad that Gruppen stepped down from coaching. Berkley was on the way up and rising as a program.

They could still very well be but it will be with a new coach.

Whomever the new coach is will have the some talented players back and they should be one of the favorites in the Blue this upcoming season. The district could be a challenge if they go south then they have to likely deal with Southfield Arts and Tech, Detroit Renaissance, Oak Park, Hazel Park, and Warren Fitzgerald. If they go north then you have to deal with Groves, Seaholm, Bloomfield Hills, or Birmingham Marian.

Berkley is now the third coaching position to open up along with Adams, Groves, and West Bloomfield. Orion and Rochester filled their coaching vacancies with the Falcons selecting Al Poynter while the Dragons chose Mike Griffin.

There have been 12 new Girls Basketball coaches in the past two seasons around the league and 16 in the past three seasons.

This will be interesting to keep an eye on, stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.