Saturday, October 2, 2021

Addressing The Division One Teams in the Blue and the Concerns I have once they make the Playoffs.

Written Saturday October 2nd at 12:10 PM

The Blue has had a ton of surprises in the past.

This one is also a surprise but it also triggers a question.

This season there are two teams that are unbeaten right now in Troy and Bloomfield Hills while Troy Athens sits at 4-2. All three teams are off to good starts.

So where does the problem lie???

All three schools are in the Blue.

They are also Division One schools with big enrollments.

Troy has 2,285 students, Troy Athens has 1,775 students, and Bloomfield Hills has 1,851 students.

The problem for the three Division One schools is that they don’t play other Division One schools or get tested once the playoffs come.

Bloomfield Hills is a perfect example. Once they get to the postseason they usually play West Bloomfield or a Clarkston and get blown out.

The same is also for Troy and Troy Athens.

It happened to the Colts in 2017 despite being in the White. They played Waterford Mott and got blown out. Troy ran into a very good West Bloomfield team in the district semifinals last season while the Red Hawks played a very good Southfield Arts and Tech team despite their record and got blown out.

All three of these schools will likely be in the postseason this season. The question I have is can they hold their own against teams that are from the Red, the White, or other non league powerhouse conferences???

Farmington and Ferndale both play Division One or strong quality Division Two schools for their non league. They get a pass with this column. Avondale, Pontiac, and Royal Oak also get passes.

Bloomfield Hills played Waterford Kettering in Week Two. The Captains are a bottom feeder in the Lakes Valley Conference and have a new coach in Bob Chiesa. They trailed 21-0 only to comeback and win that game 42-21.

Now it is possible that the Blackhawks struggled to find a strong opponent and that Waterford Kettering was available. Now in 2020 they were scheduled to play a powerhouse program in Ohio but because of the COVID-19 pandemic that did not happen.

Bloomfield Hills is not a bad football team. The problem is that they are a Division One school competing in the third division. I know it’s not their fault with the league they are in but could they have considered playing teams to prepare them for the playoffs???

This brings up the question, should everyone make the playoffs??? If this happens this would make realignment so much easier.

It’s very challenging to trust these three teams in the postseason. I don’t think they are tested enough and the strength of schedule worries me with them.

In 2017, Troy, Rochester, and Bloomfield Hills were all in the Blue. Hazel Park was not thrilled about it and left the league because of it.

The team I worry the most out of this is Bloomfield Hills.

There is a real possibility that they could see West Bloomfield, Novi Detroit Catholic Central, or Clarkston in the first round. The Blackhawks have not played the schedule as these three teams have.

So one question that I get is why do I rank Berkley higher than Bloomfield Hills despite the Blackhawks beating the Bears 13-10 in week one.

The answer is the David vs goliath.

Berkley is Division Two and with Bloomfield Hills being in Division One isn’t Bloomfield Hills expected to beat the Division Two or Division Three schools???

Berkley played Warren Mott in the postseason (made district semifinals) last season despite getting blown out.

I can’t blame the Blackhawks for the predicament they are in but how would they do against other Division One foes in the Red and White while not counting Troy Athens and Troy, would we even have this conversation right now???

The thing is Bloomfield Hills is really good this season but are they in the wrong division???

That we will find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.