Friday, June 2, 2017

Basketball Teams to Keep an Eye On During the Summer Leagues.

Written Friday June 2nd at 11:30 AM

Here are the top five basketball teams from Boys and Girls that have my eye this summer. There are some interesting story-lines surrounding these five teams as we head to the Summer League season.

Orion (Girls Basketball): When you have a new coach, a new style of play, transitioning to a new system is hard. That’s what the Dragons have to deal with, in coach Mike Griffin. Griffin will be the team’s third coach in three seasons. Griffin comes from Birmingham Detroit Country Day and has had coaching experience at Sterling Heights. He will have an experienced team but there are a ton of questions how this team will gel under his watch???

Hazel Park (Boys Basketball): The Vikings won their first district title since 1965 but had a tough loss to Detroit Collegiate Prep of Northwestern last season in the regional semifinal. The loss to the Colts led to one parent going off on Twitter about the team. If Hazel Park can keep the team together, in which they will be an experienced team then this team could do something come November.

Adams (Girls Basketball): The Highlanders fresh off winning a district championship last season will be interesting to keep an eye on. Adams will be looking for their third coach in three seasons. The Highlanders will be a young team next season so this team bears watching.

Groves (Girls Basketball): The Falcons are looking for a new coach but they lost their best player in Shea Carter whom left the State to go to North Carolina. Kayla Nelson will be back for Groves but they also will have a new coach next season so that adds some intrigue to the summer league slate.

Rochester (Girls Basketball): The Falcons have a new coach in Al Poynter and he will turn around the Rochester basketball program. The Falcons are in need of a different direction surrounding the program after a few seasons of unrest. If Poynter can get on the same page with Tori Hawkins then the Falcons will be a team to watch come November.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.