Saturday, August 28, 2021

Week One Thoughts.

Written Saturday August 28th at 11:00 AM

Updated Monday August 30th at 2:20 PM

Here are my thoughts on each team for the week.

Berkley: What happened to the Bears in the second half??? They were held scoreless and missed a chance to force overtime which resulted in a stunning 13-10 loss to Bloomfield Hills on Friday night. I’m not panicking yet on Berkley but they need to find some points in a hurry. They have Farmington at Hurley Field next week but this is not a good way to start if you’re Coach Sean Shields and the Bears.

Ferndale: The Eagles could be in a lot of trouble after losing 35-28 on their home field on Thursday night to Royal Oak. The schedule is very brutal going forward. I was very disappointed in Ferndale’s defense allowing 35 points, that’s too much if the Eagles want to get back to the playoffs. It was a major setback for Ferndale which has to play Troy Athens next week.

Farmington: It wasn’t a good debut for Coach Jason Albrecht on Friday night. I was stunned how the Falcons were outplayed by North Farmington. They were dominated. I know its one game but still it’s not a good way to get humiliated by your arch rivals. Farmington needs to fix some things and quickly if they want to turn this thing around.

Troy Athens: I can’t judge the Red Hawks yet after blowing out Pontiac 58-0 on Thursday night. We’ll know a lot more about Troy Athens when they have Ferndale next week.

Troy: The Colts picked up right where they left off from the postseason in a stunning 21-0 home win over Avondale on Thursday night. Ethan Block played really well against the Yellow Jackets and was responsible for all three scores on the night. Troy could be better than people think. This is a program that is trending up right now that’s for sure.

Avondale: I’m at a loss for words when describing the Yellow Jackets. They were shutout by Troy 21-0 on Thursday night. This is not a consistent program when looking at Avondale. They are very young and had a ton of struggles. The Yellow Jackets need to find a way when they head to Holly next week.

Bloomfield Hills: The Blackhawks defense played really well in a stunning 13-10 win over Berkley on Friday night. Bloomfield Hills have found a quarterback in CJ Jackson. Although he is different from Tanner Slazinski and John Paddock whom were both throwers Jackson is a playmaker which he was when he needed too. I’m still not sold on this team yet but we’ll know a lot about them soon enough.

Pontiac: It’s going to take time for Coach Ken Wade to get his program in Pontiac. I didn’t expect to see them get blown out 58-0 on Thursday night by Troy Athens. Wade has to get this program out of this funk and quickly. It won’t be easy for the Phoenix especially with Bloomfield Hills looming next week.

Royal Oak: Ok, ok I was wrong to predict that the Ravens were going to go 0-9. They had way too many questions and an identity crisis. I was stunned how they scored a winning touchdown with 23 seconds left and beat a very good Ferndale program last Thursday night. Mekhi Jenkins and Jessie Hoisington both had big games. Maybe this is a new Royal Oak team than from past years, I don’t know. If they can beat Troy next week and keep improving then maybe there is something here that I haven’t seen in a long while.

Adams: Parker Picot is legit enough said. He went over 200 yards and accounted for three touchdowns including one to Brady Prieskorn against a vaunted West Bloomfield squad which resulted in a 35-17 stunned in the Swamp. The offensive line was brilliant. I knew the Highlanders would be very good but now the entire state knows. The veer offense is back in a big way.

North Farmington: The Raiders put up 49 points which was the most they had scored in a game in two years. Jasper Beeler put on a clinic against Farmington in a stunning blowout. Ryan Shelby was efficient and Aaron Rice had a really good game as well. It was a great night for North Farmington on Friday night at Ron Holland Field. Depth is still a concern surrounding the Raiders but they look very good. They should be tested on Friday night when Lake Orion comes a calling.

Groves: I was very disappointed with the Falcons against Dexter in their stunning 40-8 loss at Wayne State on Friday afternoon. Cayden Hardy really struggled and the defense had their fair share of issues with the Dreadnoughts. Dexter is a very good team don’t get me wrong but Groves just didn’t show up. They are in a lot of trouble especially with what is looming in the future.

Oak Park: I was encouraged that the Knights battled back on Friday night against Orchard Lake St. Marys despite falling 21-16 on the red turf. The offense really struggled for most of the game but they look good defensively. Oak Park needs to be more consistent if they want to win games. They have a huge test looming when West Bloomfield comes a calling.

Rochester: The Falcons looked very good on Thursday night by beating Macomb L’Anse Creuse North 35-2 on Thursday night. Coach Eric Vernon’s team has a lot of proven experience. The Crusaders I didn’t think were very good. Rochester should be tested when they host Stoney Creek next week in a very interesting game.

Seaholm: The Maples were better than thought on Thursday night even though they lost 42-28 to Byron Center whom is a very good program. I thought Seaholm competed and didn’t give in and hung right in there with the Bulldogs. The schedule is going to get tough for them but if I’m Coach Jim DeWald I’m encouraged with what I have.

West Bloomfield: I was stunned that the Lakers had a very hard time with the veer option offense on Friday night against Adams in the Swamp. West Bloomfield looked flabbergasted but I think a lot of that had to do with the Highlanders veer offense which kept the Lakers defense on the field all night. West Bloomfield will be fine though so I’m not too worried but if they don’t clean things up then it could be a concern going forward.

Clarkston: Clarkston might have found more weapons than previously thought. Everyone knew about Mike DePillo and Ethan Clark but Adrian McClain and Lucas McKinney had big nights against a very good Davison program on Friday night along with many others. The Wolves defense is still a problem spot especially late in the fourth quarter where they needed to hang on but they did just enough against the Cardinals. Clarkston should be fine going forward.

Lake Orion: The Dragons crowded backfield is legit. Billy Robertson is the real deal in Lake Orion’s 33-7 shocker over Utica Eisenhower. Robertson is only a sophomore and getting better each day which is a good sign going forward. I thought Nasir Lardell also had a good day as well. The Dragons offensive line has been clicking as well which could mean good things going forward. Lake Orion still has defensive secondary concerns but everywhere they are solid. The Dragons have a tough one looming with North Farmington next week.

Southfield Arts and Tech: I was very disappointed in the Warriors on Saturday afternoon against Detroit Cass Tech losing 49-22 at Wayne State. All of Southfield Arts and Tech's points came in garbage time to make the score closer than it really was. The Warriors are in a ton of trouble right now. They have Groves whom also struggled against Dexter looming next week.

Oxford: The Wildcats made a ton of mental lapses on Friday night against Romeo which resulted in a 27-13 loss. Oxford kept close with Romeo on multiple occasions but it was the Bulldogs experience and Oxford’s mistakes that got them in that game. I think Coach Zach Line’s team is fine. There is no need to panic with the Wildcats. They have Adams looming next week which could be a tough one.

Stoney Creek: The Cougars looked very good on Thursday night beating Port Huron 48-17 but you can’t really judge them yet. I didn’t think the Big Reds were that good than in years past. Stoney Creek should be tested when they play Rochester next week. That could be a measuring stick game for Coach Nick Merlo and his team.

Harper Woods: Harper Woods had no problem with Ypsilanti on Thursday night. They look very strong offensively but I think the Grizzlies were not very good though. The Pioneers should be tested when they play Pinckney next week. It won’t get any easier going forward for Harper Woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.