Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Clarkston finds a Week Nine Game.

Written Wednesday October 16th at 2:00 PM

The Clarkston Wolves found themselves a week nine game.

After months of questions and agony, the Wolves will host Detroit Cass Tech next Friday as confirmed on Twitter and the Clarkston Athletic Department.

Clarkston had not been without a week nine game until this opportunity came up.

The Technicians had an opening after not making the Detroit Public School League playoffs. Detroit Cass Tech coach Thomas Wilcher said to the Detroit News sports writer David Goricki “Clarkston, sure I’d play them.”

Clarkston sits at 3-4 needing to win out in their final two games (Lake Orion and Detroit Cass Tech) and hope to get enough playoff points to make the postseason for a 17th straight season.

The sub varsity matchups for the Wolves will not change with their freshman playing Farmington and their junior varsity playing Walled Lake Western. Both games are at Clarkston.

Detroit Cass Tech sits at 3-4 which they will need to win out and hope they have enough playoff points to make the playoffs for a tenth straight season. They should beat Detroit East English Village Prep this week.

This is the first time these two teams are playing each other in the regular season. Both teams have combined to win six state titles since 2011.

The Technicians are no strangers to playing against OAA Schools. Detroit Cass Tech fell 9-7 to West Bloomfield in the Division One State Semifinals at Troy Athens in 2017. The Technicians are 5-4 all-time against OAA schools having played Lake Orion, Southfield, West Bloomfield, Oak Park, Pontiac Northern, and Harrison.

Both teams have a ton of athletes and were ranked in the State Champs Preseason Top 25 but they have struggled this season.

What also makes this an interesting matchup is both teams have seen each other. They scrimmaged each other along with Orchard Lake St. Marys and Grand Blanc at Clarkston in August.

This should be a very interesting matchup to say the least.

Thoughts

I’m very happy for the Wolves that they have a ninth game. Clarkston did not deserve to play eight games. It wouldn’t been fair to the players, coaches, and the community.

It doesn’t change the fact that the Wolves need to win out. Clarkston has Lake Orion this week but for them to play Detroit Cass Tech next week gives the players at least another week to play and the Clarkston community another chance to see and root for their team.

It’s a win-win for both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.