Monday, March 19, 2018

Loyer named Mr. Basketball.

Written Monday March 19th at 2:40 PM

Clarkston now has it's second Mr Basketball in school history.

The BCAM (Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan) named Foster Loyer the Hal Schram Mr Basketball winner for 2018. Loyer won the award in a clear runaway with 3,691 votes while Brandon Johns of East Lansing was second with 2,792 votes while David DeJulius of Detroit East English Village Prep was third with 2,542 votes.

Loyer joins his future Michigan State assistant coach Dane Fife to be named Mr. Basketball. Fife was the former coach at Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne (currently Fort Wayne) was the 1998 Mr Basketball for Clarkston. Dane is the son of Wolves coach Dan Fife.

Loyer has averaged 26 points per game, seven assists, four rebounds, and four steals per game. He also has a 90 percent free throw percentage and 50 percent from three point range in the regular season.

The Wolves are 94-6 with Loyer in the lineup in his four years. Loyer has missed only one game in his career (Hazel Park.) They will have a chance to add to it when they play Flint Carman Ainsworth on Tuesday in the State Quarterfinals at Grand Blanc.

Loyer becomes the 15th future Spartan to hold the honor of Mr. Basketball. He will be seeing his future teammate Cassius Winston next season whom was also a Mr. Basketball winner in 2015 when he was at Detroit University-Detroit Jesuit.

The last time the Mr. Basketball winner won a State Championship in the same year was Winston's Cubs in 2015 when they beat North Farmington in the State final. They had to beat Clarkston in the State Quarterfinals at Callahan Hall at the University of Detroit Mercy 57-55 to get there.

Thoughts.

Loyer deserved this honor to win Mr. Basketball but it doesn't guarantee a State Championship. There have been Mr. Basketball winners that have not won a State title like Fife in 1998.

Clarkston has had great players come out of that program but Fife and Loyer will stand out being that they are Mr. Basketball winners.

It will be interesting to see what the Wolves have and if Loyer can lead Clarkston to a repeat.

We'll find out.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.