Friday, March 2, 2018

District Thoughts-Girls.

Written Friday March 2nd at 11:15 PM

First I want to congratulate Oxford on beating Macomb Dakota getting their first ever Girls State Bowling title. Heck of an accomplishment for the Wildcats.

Also in Cheerleading in the State Finals with Adams taking 2nd, Rochester 3rd, Stoney Creek 5th, and Lake Orion 8th.

I want to recap the districts for Girls Basketball, there were some I wasn't surprised and some scores that really has me nodding my head.

I was surprised how Birmingham Marian beat Royal Oak 39-25. The Mustangs had a game plan against Samantha Potter but the third quarter was the difference in that game where Birmingham Marian busted the game wide open. Also I was surprised that Olivia Moore had 17 points, that was something the Ravens couldn't have if they wanted to win that game. Royal Oak has Potter and Jessica Adams coming back, among others next year.

I wasn't surprised with what happened to Berkley against Detroit Renaissance. As mentioned I criticized the Bears schedule of not playing tough teams and it showed here in this game. Berkley will have a loaded team next season led by Olivia DiCarlo but if I'm a Bears fan I would toughen up the non conference to get yourself tested for this type of matchup.

I knew that Stoney Creek would have a tough game against Utica Eisenhower eventually losing 49-33. I was surprised that the Cougars turned the ball over 33 times and Emily Echout was shut down. Stoney Creek has the balk of their team coming back next season led by Echout and Meghan Solek.

Bloomfield Hills hit 10 threes against a very good Waterford Kettering team but it wasn't enough as the Blackhawks lost 42-37. Bloomfield Hills had their chances but the Captains hit free throws late giving them the win. The Blackhawks do return the balk of their team back led by Maryiam Hashim, Jordan Banks, and Grace Getz.

Alexis Johnson really bailed out Southfield Arts and Tech in their game against Farmington Hills Mercy. Johnson had 26 points including the game winning two points with 45 seconds left and the steal that sent the Warriors home for the Regional against Detroit Martin Luther King with a 49-45 win over the Marlins. Cheyenne McEvans (11) and D'Layna Holliman (10) combined for 21 points. Probably the thing I was surprised about here is that Southfield Arts and Tech wasn't the VISITOR on the scoreboard at Farmington Hills Mercy despite the Marlins having the home bench and all of that but that's not my call.

Clarkston shut out Holly for three quarters, outscoring the Bronchos 25-0 on route to a 33-9 blowout. They also shut down Rebecca Fugate, whom had big games against Lake Orion and Oxford in the district tournament. The Senior heavy Wolves will be tested for sure against Birmingham Marian in the Regional round next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.