Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Michigan Department Of Health and Human Services extends No Contact Sports Order Until End Of The Month.

Written Wednesday January 13th at 2:10 PM

The State of Michigan has lifted some of the sports that were paused.

But others like basketball, cheer, wrestling, and hockey still have to wait.

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services director Robert Gordon and Governor Gretchen Whitmer announced in a press conference that non indoor contact sports like bowling, gymnastics, and boys swimming and diving can be allowed to proceed starting on Saturday while contact sports are still on hold until January 31st.

The order was to expire on January 15th.

“Caution has worked for us in Michigan and we are staying with our cautious approach today. Much of the prior order remains in place, there is one change. In order to support physical and mental health we’ll be permitting indoor athletics provided there is distancing and masking. Young people can practice sports in gyms with distancing and masking. Playing those same sports competitively if it involves contact is not allowed” said Gordon.

The MHSAA Fall Sports postseason was allowed under the MDHHS antigen testing program which gave them a 99.6 percent negative test rating.

The science and data are there supporting that sports can be done safely.

The MHSAA sent out a statement saying that the four contact sports will start by February 1st but that right now looks to be in question.

The spread of false hope to student-athletes to go then stop then go then stop again has to stop and that’s on the MHSAA and the Whitmer administration.

All three need to take responsibility for this. Everyone needs to be held accountable including the MHSAA, Whitmer, and Gordon.

Today was a good day for some student athletes but for others it was not a good day. Something needs to change bottom line and it could very well be at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.