Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Have Faith.

Written Wednesday January 27th at 6:40 PM

Winter contact sports remain on hold for now.

38 states including Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, New York, and California are starting winter sports next week but not Michigan.

However there has been some dialogue between the MHSAA and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

The MDHHS has a new executive director in former Rockford tennis player Elizabeth Hertel. Hertel took over for Robert Gordon whom stepped down on Friday after extending the order until February 21.

The “Let Them Play” message is and is still loud and clear. There was letters, videos, and pleas. This wasn't just from students but some administrators like Detroit Public Schools superintendent Nickoi Viti among other superintendents along with coaches through out the state have spoken out as well and athletic directors. This message has even gotten to the legislature where there will be hearings set for Thursday with the goal to "Let Them Play."

There is a rally set for Saturday in Lansing.

MHSAA executive director Mark Uyl said that the representative council voted not to set a timetable yet for Winter Sports to begin as of yet.

Uyl was frustrated like everyone else when the extension came out last week but sounded optimistic on Wednesday especially with the changes at the MDHHS when he talked on the “Huge Show.”

The four contact sports are practicing but with no contact.

Uyl has been very transparent throughout the process. The decision making was questionable. He is though not happy with those players and families that are traveling out of state.

The MHSAA and MDHHS had a fall antigen test program for fall sports which had a 99.8 negative test rate last week and a 99.6 negative test rate two weeks ago.

Hopefully these next few days will be very interesting to watch.

Have faith everyone, have faith.

State Champs Article

https://www.statechampsnetwork.com/blog/mhsaas-message-of-let-them-play-loud-and-clear-across-state-we-really-feel-like-our-message-is-really-resonating-right-now/

MiPrepzone

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/sports/miprepzone/uyl-push-for-contact-sports-to-begin-resonating-around-the-state/article_14e6e5d2-60f4-11eb-8abd-fbe51a89b45c.html  

Ellis Article

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/sports/miprepzone/drew-ellis-a-lot-of-gray-in-decision-to-resume-contact-sports/article_4f18781a-60d1-11eb-8af7-b73a4c5302d7.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.