Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Volleyball State Semifinal Preview.

Written Wednesday November 20th at 2:35 PM

LAKE ORION vs Lowell:

Who would had ever thought that the Dragons would be back in the Division One State Semifinals after last season’s State Championship run. They lost 10 seniors and had a player transfer out this offseason but here they are as Lake Orion will play Lowell on Thursday at the Kellogg Arena in Battle Creek at 4:30 PM.

Lake Orion has three seniors in Olivia Erwin, Courtney Andras, and Kylie Andras. The Dragons were an honorable mention themselves. The path hasn’t been an easy road for this young team. Lake Orion had to beat honorable mention and State ranked Clarkston (6th), Oxford (HM), and Stoney Creek (9th) along with Holly (Flint Metro Stripes Champs), and Mount Pleasant (Saginaw Valley League Champs) in the postseason. The Dragons are led by their State Championship returners in Kendall Robertson, Erwin, both Andras sisters, and Regan Goeke. Lake Orion has had some young and emerging players that have contributed and are becoming well known names in Nina Hoering, Lauren Staruch, and Taylor Butkewictz.

Lowell is ranked second in the State behind Farmington Hills Mercy who will be on the other side of the bracket as they will play Ann Arbor Skyline. The Red Arrows are loaded with a ton of talent led by outside hitter Jenna Reistma, middle hitter Meghan Meyer. Both players received second and third team all-state honors last season. Also second year coach Jordan Drake has really toughened up his team’s schedule. He has seen contributions as well from liberio Emma Hill and setter Sophie Powell. Reistma is the team’s top player and has broken Lowell’s single season record for kills. The Red Arrows come in with a 52-3 record with two losses to Hudsonville and one to the Marlins. They have wins against Mattawan (3rd), Rockford, Hudsonville (4th) and Cedar Springs in the tournament thus far.

The Dragons have met Lowell twice in tournaments with the Red Arrows winning both meetings.

PREDICTION: The Dragons will have their hands full with Lowell. The Red Arrows are loaded with talent as mentioned above. Reistma is the real deal, there is a reason why she has broken the single season kills record at Lowell. Lake Orion will have to play well and be mistake free if they want to get back to the State Finals. I was wrong about picking against the Dragons when picking Clarkston and Stoney Creek to win their district and regional. I wonder if picking against them should motivate them once again. PICK: LOWELL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.