Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Southfield Arts and Tech Heading to Breslin.

Written Tuesday March 14th at 10:45 PM

The Southfield Arts and Tech Warriors Girls Basketball team will be heading to East Lansing.

The Warriors are heading to the Final Four for the first time as a school winning over Ann Arbor Huron 52-38 at home in the State Quarterfinals on Tuesday night.

Last season, both Southfield and Lathrup battled each other just to get to the next round. 

Now they are together.

Southfield Arts and Tech was led by Deja Church whom had 20 points and nine rebounds while Cheyenne McEvans and Alexis Johnson had nine points each.

The Warriors will take on East Kentwood on Friday at 2:50 PM at the Breslin Center on the campus of Michigan State. The Falcons beat Kalamazoo Central 78-51 on Tuesday night at Lansing Everett.

The game was closer than the score indicated with Southfield Arts and Tech pulling away late in the game. Church showed why she was a Miss Michigan Basketball candidate by taking over late. The Michigan recruit put the game away by stealing the basketball when her team was up by six points and made it an eight-point game in front of the home folks.

This is a huge win for the Warriors in their first year as a school. Southfield Arts and Tech coach Michelle Marshall-Jackson whom guided Lathrup to the State title in 2005. The Warriors this season has not only won the Red but is moving onto the State Semifinals. The big win over Detroit Martin Luther King in the regional final has put the Warriors on the brink of doing something really special for the city of Southfield.

Southfield Arts and Tech (22-4) will have a tough match-up with a 24-1 East Kentwood squad that is balanced, athletic, and talented. The Falcons have three solid players in center Corine Jemison whom had 15 points, guard Alona Blackwell whom had 14 points, and 12 points from forward Anaya Powell.

We’ll see what happens on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.