Sunday, March 12, 2017

Schultz Steps Down at North Farmington.

Written Monday March 13th at 12:15 AM

The North Farmington Raiders will be looking for a new football coach.

In February then coach Todd Schultz stepped down from coaching football to focus on becoming the Athletic Director for the school.

North Farmington has not made the playoffs since 2013 when they finished 5-3. They lost to Harrison 49-7 in the first round that year.

The Raiders finished 0-9 last season. North Farmington though was in the White which made things much harder. North Farmington scored 32 points (3.5 ppg) and allowing 334 points (37.1 ppg.) This upcoming season the Raiders will compete in the Blue.

North Farmington was a very young football team last season but they have a ton of players to work with. The Raiders return quarterback’s Brendan Hudson and Nigel Weems, running backs Taj Cheathem and Dylan Gordon, along with wide receivers Myles Gresham and Jaylen Ferguson.

North Farmington opens up the season at Grand Valley State against Greenville on August 24th.

Thoughts.

The Raiders were in need of a new direction after what happened last season going winless. I think for Schultz that for him to focus on the Athletic Director role made a lot of sense.

John Erstine would be a perfect fit for this football program. Erstine is an assistant at Harrison under legendary coach John Herrington. Herrington whom is a legend not only in the city of Farmington but in the State as well. He has said that Erstine is ready to coach his own program. Erstine was mentioned as a candidate for the Farmington job but the Falcons went in-house with Kory Cioroch, the team’s defensive coordinator.

Also, to mention that Harrison is closing in two years and bringing Erstine in would bring stability to the North Farmington program and give an option for those kids who are coming out of Middle School in Farmington to go to North Farmington.

Whomever the new coach is will have to bring up a Junior Varsity team and get players to play for the football team in the school. You can’t rely on the Harrison kids to come to North Farmington, they will come in two years. They have to get a Junior Varsity team to bring up the stability of the football program not only in the short term but in the long term. North Farmington had a Freshman football team last season, there is no reason not to have a Junior Varsity team especially where they are located.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.