Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Boys State Quarterfinal Preview and Picks.

Written Tuesday March 21st at 12:10 PM

Well three OAA Teams remain, could two of them get to the State Semifinals on Friday at Breslin, I hope so. Anyway here are my picks and preview for the two quarterfinal games, I will have a recap both games later tonight.

WEST BLOOMFIELD vs TROY at Detroit Mercy-7 PM

This is a rematch of a game at Troy that took place on February 9th. The Lakers beat the Colts 64-61 in a great one. This matchup at Detroit Mercy could be an instant classic in the making.

West Bloomfield is in their first quarterfinal since 2003 features Kevin McAdoo. McAdoo whom is averaging 31 points per game, had 34 including the controversial winning score in double overtime against Novi to send them to this game. The Lakers in this tournament have wins over Farmington, Orchard Lake St. Marys, Howell, and Novi.

Troy is in their first quarterfinal since 1989 got some good news as Isiah Smith got cleared to play in this game. The Colts have been riding Leon Ayers and Jason Dietz. Ayers and Dietz have been playing very well throughout the season, sharing the White with Hazel Park. Troy has wins over Birmingham Brother Rice, Bloomfield Hills, Seaholm, St Clair Shores Lake Shore, and Warren De LaSalle in this tournament.

PICK: This will be an Awesome game, Two Great teams, Two Great coaches in Jeremy Denha at West Bloomfield and Gary Fralick at Troy. It wouldn’t surprise me if this game goes double or maybe triple overtime. Sadly, one team does advance while the other goes home. I think and hope the winner will see Clarkston in the State Semifinals, West Bloomfield matches them well despite losing twice to them, I'm not sure about Troy if they do match up with Clarkston, I know for sure if Saginaw shocks Clarkston that both these teams matches up well with the Trojans. PICK: THIS IS TOO CLOSE TO CALL.

CLARKSTON vs Saginaw at Davison-7:30 PM

The Wolves seek their first trip to the Breslin Center since 2009 when they beat Flint Northwestern in the regional final but they lost to Kalamazoo Central in the State Semifinals. This will be the first meeting with the Trojans since 2008 when Clarkston lost 86-77 in double overtime at Davison in the regional final to Saginaw. The Wolves ride an eight-game winning streak since being upset by Southfield Arts and Tech 64-60 at home on February 17th. Clarkston has been dominating in the postseason, the Wolves have outscored their opponents (Waterford Mott, Orion, Waterford Kettering, Macomb Dakota, and Stoney Creek) 338-144. Clarkston has two Division One recruits in Foster Loyer (Michigan State) and Dylan Alderson (Milwaukee.) They may have two more future recruits as well in CJ Robinson and Taylor Currie.

Saginaw won the Saginaw Valley North title and has been a foe to the Wolves in the mid 1990’s and early 2000’s. The Trojans have big wins over Flushing and Traverse City West where they had to play in two different schools for their regional. Saginaw has two very good players in Henry Speight and Eddie Thigpen. Thigpen had 30 points and 15 rebounds against Traverse City West in the regional final.

PICK: Depth favors Clarkston, More Options to Score favors Clarkston, Rebounding favors Clarkston. Saginaw does not match well with the Wolves either on those three options, only advantage they might have is athleticism but nothing else. PICK: CLARKSTON.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.