Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Boys Soccer District Preview.

Written Tuesday October 11th at 2:15 PM

Here are the 2016 Boys Soccer district lineup for next week's Boys Soccer State tournament. These are my thoughts and projections on how things should shake up. OAA Teams in CAPS.


District 9 @ Grosse Pointe South

Grosse Pointe South vs Detroit Western
OAK PARK vs Grosse Pointe North
Hamtramck vs Detroit Cass Tech
Dearborn Fordson vs Detroit University Detroit Jesuit.

Thoughts: This is overall a weak district but there are three teams that I think can make some damage but none of them are in the OAA. Detroit Western, Dearborn Fordson, and Detroit University Detroit Jesuit have the best chance of winning this district.

PROJECTION: I like Detroit Western to come out of this district. I think they have played a tough schedule even though I’m not high on the Detroit Public School League when it comes to soccer but Detroit Western has done just enough to come out of this district with a win. PICK: Detroit Western.

District 10 @ Utica

Sterling Heights vs Warren Mott
Utica vs TROY ATHENS
Utica Ford vs Warren Cousino
Utica Ford/Warren Cousino winner vs Sterling Heights Stevenson

Thoughts: This is an interesting district with some interesting storylines. Troy Athens is always a State Power in Boys Soccer but there are some challengers to the Red Hawks. Warren Cousino has a first year coach in Kelsey Brown and her team has been up and down. Utica is solid as always as well and Utica Ford has had success as well. This will be an interesting district to keep an eye on.

PROJECTION: I like Troy Athens to come out of this one because they have the experience and also some talent. I also think playing in the Red every night has helped a team like this to make a serious playoff run. The Red Hawks could possibly give Fraser problems in the next round and let’s not forget the regional is at Troy Athens. PICK: Troy Athens.

District 13 @ Troy

GROVES vs BLOOMFIELD HILLS
BERKLEY vs ROYAL OAK
Birmingham Brother Rice vs SEAHOLM
TROY vs SOUTHFIELD ARTS AND TECH

Thoughts: This district has an OAA feel to it when looking at this district. Berkley, Bloomfield Hills, Groves, and Troy have real shots at winning this district. Southfield Arts and Tech has been beating everyone up in the Blue as of late. Royal Oak and Birmingham Brother Rice could surprise folks and you can’t count out Seaholm either. This has the makings of a great district.

PROJECTION: I was pretty torn when looking at this district but since the district is at Troy. I’m going to give this district to the Colts. Troy has played in a tougher league when you look at it. It could be a possible clash with Grand Blanc looms for the Colts so I see Troy winning this district. PICK: Troy.

District 14 @ Hartland

Walled Lake Central vs WEST BLOOMFIELD
NORTH FARMINGTON vs Milford
Hartland vs Lakeland
Walled Lake Northern vs Walled Lake Western

Thoughts: When I look at this district there is a great chance for North Farmington to make a run at this district. West Bloomfield could make some noise as well as they finished third in the White. I’m not impressed with the Walled Lake schools or Lakeland or Milford. Hartland is the dark horse candidate that can seriously threaten North Farmington.

PROJECTION: I think the Hartland Eagles will take this district in a classic over North Farmington. Hartland has experience and will be too much for the Raiders or anyone in this district to overcome. PICK: Hartland.

District 15 @ Adams

ORION vs OXFORD
ROCHESTER vs Waterford Mott
STONEY CREEK vs Waterford Kettering
CLARKSTON vs ADAMS

Thoughts: This one has some good teams in this district when you look at Rochester, Orion, Oxford, Stoney Creek, Adams, and Clarkston. I feel bad for Waterford Kettering as they will likely be eliminated by Stoney Creek. Clarkston and Adams will be interesting with the winner going to see Stoney Creek. This district could be in for some good soccer.

PROJECTION: This one was tough but when in doubt go with the home team and that will be Adams. The Highlanders have experience and could make a serious playoff run this season. I expect Clarkston and Stoney Creek to be serious contenders and Orion, Oxford, or Rochester being dark horse teams but end of the day I don’t think anyone is touching Adams. PICK: Adams.

District 24 @ Farmington

Redford Thurston vs Redford Union
South Lyon East vs South Lyon
FARMINGTON vs Detroit Renaissance
Garden City vs Dearborn Divine Child

Thoughts: This one is interesting but the favorite has to be Dearborn Divine Child. They have fared well this season although South Lyon East or Farmington could have a say who wins but in the end of the day this one looks like it will be Dearborn Divine Child’s to lose.

PROJECTION: As mentioned I like Dearborn Divine Child to go unopposed to the regional. PICK: Dearborn Divine Child.

District 25 @ Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood

Madison Heights Lamphere vs Birmingham Detroit Country Day
HARRISON vs Warren Fitzgerald
HAZEL PARK vs Orchard Lake St. Marys
HAZEL PARK/Orchard Lake St. Marys winner vs Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood

Thoughts: Well this district is interesting with Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood and Orchard Lake St. Marys being possible candidates but these two could clash in the semifinals and meet up with Detroit Country Day in the finals. This could be interesting.

PROJECTION: Whoever wins the Orchard Lake St. Marys/Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood match will win the district. I don’t think the Yellow Jackets will have enough to win this one against either of the two teams mentioned. PICK: Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook-Kingswood.

District 27 @ Pontiac Notre Dame Prep.

AVONDALE vs Yale
Pontiac Notre Dame Prep vs PONTIAC
Armada vs  Ortonville Brandon
Goodrich vs North Branch

Thoughts: This one could be interesting especially with the Yellow Jackets from Avondale and Notre Dame Prep in this one. Armada, North Branch, Brandon, and Goodrich will be tough outs as well. This one has the makings of a good district in Pontiac.

PROJECTION: I like Avondale coming out of this district, there seems to be something with a ton of senior experience and that’s what the Yellow Jackets have. I think it will be an Avondale/Ortonville Brandon final with the Yellow Jackets coming out on top. PICK: Avondale.

District 41 @ Clawson

Detroit Jalen Rose Academy vs Hamtramck Frontier International
Detroit Jalen Rose Academy/Hamtramck Frontier International winner vs Livonia Claranceville
FERNDALE vs Detroit University Prep
FERNDALE/Detroit University Prep winner vs Clawson

Thoughts: I think this is a bad district when you look at it, not a lot of teams here that scare me. It will be interesting to find out how this district pans out.

PROJECTION: I got to go with Clawson, the Trojans have some history here. I think they will beat Ferndale in the semifinal and should beat Livonia Claranceville at home so give me Clawson in this district. PICK: Clawson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.