Thursday, June 17, 2021

Rochester has their new Boys Basketball Coach.

Written Thursday June 17th at 4:20 PM

Updated Friday June 18th at 12:30 PM

The Falcons are bringing in someone very familiar with the building and is well known within the area as their new boys basketball coach.

Rochester named Nick Evola as the team’s new varsity boys basketball coach confirmed by a very accurate source. Evola confirmed on his Twitter the move on the following day. He takes over for Vance Kirkwood whom was let go in May.  

Kirkwood became the new girls basketball coach at Sterling Heights Stevenson last week.

Evola teaches at Rochester which is a huge plus. 

Evola coached his alma mater Warren Woods Tower from 2011-2019. He led the Titans to the Macomb Area Conference Gold Division title in 2018.

Evola is well known for his run and gun offense when he was at Warren Woods Tower.

Evola was originally named Adams head coach in 2019 but had a change of heart seven days later and left all of a sudden. The job eventually went to Jaret Thomas where he had done a magnificent job with the Highlanders.

Rochester won the Gold despite going 6-8 last season. They have a ton of experience coming back for Evola in Matt Stone, Gabe Mendoza, DJ Reid, Arman Hussiani, Preyston Schroeder, Connor Craium, and Louis Bowes. Program strength is a bit of a question mark for the Falcons.

The Falcons with Evola will be in the Blue this winter and compete against the likes of Oxford, Berkley, Southfield Arts and Tech, Troy Athens, and Seaholm. The district is unknown at this time.

Thoughts

This is an interesting hire for the Falcons. The challenge for Evola will be program strength. Kirkwood had a ton of success when it came to program strength at Rochester despite all the struggles on the varsity level. Also another concern is the competition especially going to the Blue and dealing with some new teams even though there are some familiar ones as well.

I expect the Falcons to be very good this season with the experience back. I know a lot of experts are calling this a great hire for Rochester but there are always questions surrounding a team and this one is no different.

It will be interesting to watch for sure.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story. 

My Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-06-21-21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.