Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Adams has their new Girls Basketball Coach.

Written Tuesday June 15th at 9:45 PM

Adams has their new girls basketball coach and it's an interesting name and hire for some folks.

The Highlanders named Joe Malburg the new head coach confirmed by a very accurate source. Malburg takes over for Shay Lewis whom stepped down in March after leading Adams to the district finals in the last two years.

Malburg comes to Adams from Sterling Heights Parkway Christian. He went 25-32 in his three seasons coaching the Eagles girls basketball program. Malburg went 15-8 making the district finals in his second season. His team did struggle a little bit finishing at 6-7 last season. Malburg does have an indirect familiarity with Adams. He was an assistant at Almont with former Highlanders and current Raiders boys basketball coach John Hall and current Stoney Creek girls assistant coach Chris Flynn. Malburg also spent time coaching at Utica and Romeo as well.

Malburg is known for his intensity and his well known for his attention to detail.

Malburg will have to address a ton of things with his new program. Program strength should be his top priority. The Highlanders did not field a freshman program last season. Adams lost a ton of experience on the varsity in Maddie Dolenga, Lauren Petersmark, and Elizabeth Blaine to graduation as well last season. There is talent at Adams which should help with Maddie Kessman, AuJayna Howard, Emma Klott, Abby Skiff, Olivia Marcial, Samantha Blaine, and Abbey Drahnak coming back for Malburg.

Adams will be in the White this winter going up against the likes of Lake Orion, Oxford, North Farmington, Troy Athens, Berkley, Rochester, and Bloomfield Hills. The district is unknown at this time.

Thoughts

I really like the hire of Malburg. He’s very intense and very competitive. Malburg will have his hands full at Adams when it comes to program strength. I’m really curious especially with the Highlanders returners in Kessman, Howard, Klott, Skiff, Marcial, Blaine, and Drahnak with how they will adjust to Malburg and his style of play.

It will take some time for Malburg to develop a system and to build a new culture at Adams.

If Malburg can bring back the freshman program and bring stability to a program that needs it then the Highlanders can go a long way into the future.

Stay tuned to OAA Now on this developing story. 

My Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-06-21-21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.