Thursday, April 1, 2021

State Quarterfinal Preview.

 Written Friday April 2nd at 11:30 AM

 State Quarterfinal Preview.

FERNDALE vs Croswell-Lexington

It has been an incredible season for the Ferndale Boys Basketball program as they try to get their first ever State title.

The Eagles earned their first regional championship since 1985 with a forfeit win over Harper Woods Chandler Park Academy because of a COVID-19 case surrounding their program. Ferndale also has postseason wins over Hazel Park, Ferndale University, and Livonia Clarenceville and comes in with a 13-4 record with losses to North Farmington, Flint Beecher, Grosse Pointe South, and Orchard Lake St Marys but they have wins over North Farmington, Clarkston twice, West Bloomfield, Oak Park twice, and Detroit Fredrick Douglass.

Ferndale will play Croswell-Lexington on Tuesday night at Eastpointe in the Division Two State quarterfinals.

The Eagles have relied on Jason Drake and Treyvon Lewis to score. Lewis had 50 points against Detroit Fredrick Douglass and has been around 20 points per game. Drake has had numerous big games since transferring from Orchard Lake St. Marys during Christmas but what has impressed me about Ferndale is that they have gotten strong performances from their interior which was supposed to be their weakness in Chris Williams and Jack Kennedy. Cameron Reed has played well at the wing for Coach Juan Rickman and is only a freshman. Also they have developed their program strength and have built their depth this season.

The Pioneers are coming off a 55-35 victory over Pontiac Notre Dame Prep on Thursday night on their home floor. It was their first ever regional championship title ever.

Croswell-Lexington comes in to this game unbeaten at 19-0. They feature a very talented forward in Hunter Soper. Soper had 30 points and 16 rebounds against Pontiac Notre Dame Prep in the regional finals last Thursday night. The Pioneers also have postseason wins over Goodrich, Almont, and Armada. Soper has been very good all season long for Croswell-Lexington.

The winner will head to Grand Rapids and play either Grand Rapids Catholic Central or Benton Harbor at the Van Andel Arena in the Division Two State semifinals on Thursday afternoon.

Early Thoughts.

It has been a very good year for the Pioneers and for Coach Lance Campbell but they haven't seen a team like Ferndale. Not even in the Blue Water Area Conference will they see a team this athletic and has the speed and talent that the Eagles have. 

Ferndale has played a really tough schedule including playing in the Red and the non league schedule was also nuts as well.

I expect Soper to have problems with the Eagles quickness and defense. I also expect the Pioneers will have trouble with Drake and Lewis. I'm keeping a close eye on the Soper vs Kennedy matchup in the interior but Rickman could give Soper some different looks which I expect he would. I would expect Campbell to do the same to Drake and Lewis as well.

My Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-04-05-21wav

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.