Friday, May 10, 2019

What the MHSAA basically did with the new rules.

Written Friday May 10th at 5:40 PM

This week the MHSAA handed down new rules which will affect football, basketball, and soccer effective next season. Here are some winners and losers that will be affected by this decision.

Football.

If you’re a big school or a school that plays a brutal schedule you’re loving this format because it forced teams to play you particularly teams that are in your league.

If you’re a small school, your hating this because it is forcing you to play bigger schools just for playoff points and the elimination of the six wins really hurts you because strength of schedule becomes a big time component.

Basketball.

If you’re a team that plays a brutal non conference and league schedule you’re loving this because you’ll likely be seeded as one of the top two seeds come playoff time. If you’re a team that plays an easy non conference and have a weak league schedule it will hurt you come playoff time because you might not have one of those top seeds despite winning 17 or 18 games in districts. With the MHSAA going to a Michigan Computer Index it will force teams to play a tougher schedule next season.

Soccer.

In soccer it’s the same thing as basketball. If you play a tough schedule then you will be rewarded but if you don’t then it will hurt no matter if you win or lose.

Notice the trend here???

The new rules come next season for Basketball and Soccer looks very hard at your strength of schedule and quality of wins when it comes to district seeding.

In football the MHSAA Representative Council rewarded those who play a brutal schedule and penalized those who play a soft schedule by eliminating the six win playoff mandate but that will be for the 2020 season.

We shall see what happens heading into the new season.

My Podcast
https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-5-13-19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.