Saturday, June 13, 2015

What Would Happen if the OAA Dispanded???

Written Saturday June 13th at 5:15 PM

What would happen if the OAA disbanded, or separated north/south. It has been rumored but I don't think this will happen because of stability.

However there has been questions of what would happen if the OAA were to break apart and how would the schools survive if a possible breakup is imminent.

It happened in the Big Nine when they broke up in 2011. Davison and Grand Blanc tried to join the league but it was voted down. Davison is in the Saginaw Valley and Grand Blanc is in the Kensington Lakes Athletic Association.

Well there will be 23 schools in the OAA, which is an uneven number after 2016-2017 when Southfield merges. There are two Class B schools (Ferndale and Hazel Park) which makes it tough for them to compete.

We don't know the financial situations of each school but it has made huge impact on merging two high schools within district for cost savings because budget cuts and lack of funding. The merger will occur in Southfield and it has already occurred in Bloomfield Hills, Royal Oak, and Pontiac.

The mergers have caused damage to the OAA, especially when it comes to scheduling in league. Prior to 2001 there were 32 schools in the league before Brandon left followed by Clawson, Madison, and Lamphere in 2004 and Waterford Kettering and Waterford Mott left in 2008.

If the OAA were to go north/south it would create a problem especially south where Southfield would have a lot of influence while in the north you have the likes of Orion, Clarkston, Oxford, Troy, Troy Athens, Rochester, Adams, and Stoney Creek.

It is most likely the OAA will stay at 23 schools but they could expand. It's possible anything can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.