Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Southfield Should Stay Put with the Staff they have already.

Written Tuesday June 30th at 11:00 PM

The Southfield Blue Jays Boys Basketball coaching search is still on going and is the last vacancy in the OAA.

However this team has talent and a strong upside. The Blue Jays finished 12-1 in the Summer League with their only loss to Detroit Allen Academy at Oakland.

I think Southfield should stay put and name one of their assistants head coach. He will only have the job for one season.

The reason why I think that is because Southfield is not a good job right now, yes they have talent but this will be the last year of the Southfield Blue Jays because next year Southfield will merge with Lathrup to become one big high school and there will be a lot of uncertainy whom will coach the new Southfield High School next season.

Also you got Mike Avery whom coaches at Lathrup and will likely want to stay in the district. I expect him to apply to become the coach of the new Southfield High School next season.

It's tough for a new coach to get his system in play and what makes it worse is they just finished the Summer League season. It takes time to put in a system in place and here your giving a coach guaranteed 21 games not knowing if there will be a game 22 and beyond. Southfield is in a tough division in the Red facing the likes of Clarkston, Adams, and North Farmington not to mention their arch rival Lathrup is in the division as well.

The Blue Jays are in a tough district in which they host with U-D Jesuit, Oak Park, Lathrup, Detroit Renaissance, and Berkley. U-D Jesuit is the favorite because they have everyone back from a team that went to the State Semifinals last season led by Mr Michigan Basketball candidate Cassius Winston and the two seven foot Nigerian big men are back as well while Detroit Renaissance has Justin Turner.

The players have a lot of respect for him and the system they run. He led them to the 12-1 record in the Summer League and has earned the right to coach this team for 21 guaranteed games.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for coverage and what Southfield will do is up to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.