Saturday, June 13, 2015

OAA Possible Expansion Canadates.

 Written Saturday June 13th at 4:20 PM

With the OAA heading down to 23 schools in 2016-2017 with the merger of Southfield and Lathrup in the "Imagine 20-20" plan, I thought maybe if the league decided to expand 24 schools. Lets see whom might the OAA look at if they want to expand.

1. Clawson- The Trojans make sense with its location and proximity and also they maybe getting tired of having to go to Macomb County for games. They are very close to Troy and to Royal Oak, possibly making the best sense to rejoin the league after leaving in 2004 for the Macomb Area Conference. Their felicitates aren't the greatest but maybe it's time for Clawson to look at rejoining the league.

2. Brandon- Would the Blackhawks want to leave the Flint Metro League for the OAA, probably not since they have found a home in the league since leaving in 2002. With new upgrades maybe Brandon might want to take a shot staying in county and not go to places in Genesee County, never say never. If the Blackhawks were to rejoin the league, Oxford would likely be their rival.

3. Holly- The Bronchos are in the same boat as Brandon but the difference is they are a charter member of the Flint Metro League and it wouldn't make sense for them travel wise to leave for the OAA. They do have the enrollment for an OAA school and could make an interesting member if they did join.

4. Waterford Schools- Kettering and Mott might not want to make a return to the OAA but it's possible since they left in 2008. Kettering and Mott left because of the lack of success in the league. Kettering has had success in girls basketball and softball while in the Kensington Lakes Athletic Association and Mott has had success in Boys Basketball, these schools can compete with the OAA Schools as they are in an OAA district most of the district playoffs.

5. Madison Schools- Could the Madison schools return to the league for the first time since 2004??? It's possible and would set up rivalries with Hazel Park and Ferndale. The problem is that Madison is close to the Macomb County line. Lamphere might make more sense to rejoin the league than Madison but if both want to come back so be it.

6. Lapeer- Lapeer would be interesting because they are not in Oakland County but I don't think the Lightning would want to go to Midland, Bay, or Saginaw counties on a consistent bases with the league they are in (Saginaw Valley League.) If Lapeer were to join the OAA, the travel would be easier for them even though trips to southern Oakland County won't be easy but would be tolerable. The Lightning's arch rivals would be Oxford if they were to join the league. When Lapeer was Lapeer East and Lapeer West they were rivals with Oxford when they were in the Flint Metro League but it would be "One Lapeer" if they were to join.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.