Monday, September 7, 2020

Ferndale and Pontiac Schools Reverse Course.

Written Monday September 7th at 4:40 PM

The OAA will have fall sports this fall.

In wake of Governor Gretchen Whitmer’s new executive order giving the go ahead for all fall sports to compete. Ferndale and Pontiac Schools have reversed decisions to go ahead with the seasons as is on Friday.

Ferndale Schools confirmed their decision through their athletic director Shaun Butler through MIPrepZone.

Ferndale also includes Ferndale University as well.

Pontiac Schools confirmed their decision through a letter from superintendent Kelley Williams.

“Hello Pontiac School District Families,

Governor Whitmer’s Executive Order 2020-176 released yesterday has allowed the return of fall sports with restrictions. In conjunction with this order we will be re-instituting fall sports beginning Tuesday September 8th. At this time Middle School Sports will not be played in the fall.

In order to keep our students, staff, and community as safe as possible and to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Executive Order, we will be implementing COVID-19 safety screenings before each practice and game. Opposing teams will also need to certify that they have constructed similar screenings to their staff prior to game play.

In addition to standard permission requirements, parents will be required to sign a COVID-19 liability waiver from the school district for their student to participate in any practices or games.

At this time, no spectators will be allowed at home games. Should an opportunity to attend an away game be possible we will alert families prior to the game. We know not being able to see your students play in person is disappointing. We have been actively pursuing options to livestream games so that families can watch from home. Once those capabilities are finalized we will let you know. Recruiters will still be allowed onsite at games for scouting purposes.

Should you have any questions or any additional information regarding the upcoming sports season please don’t hesitate to contact our athletic department.

We look forward to cheering our Phoenixes this fall.”

As of now thanks to Whitmer’s executive order it means that all 22 schools will compete this fall. Whitmer gave the go ahead on Thursday giving the MHSAA the green light to start up fall sports throughout the State with strict restrictions.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.