Friday, September 11, 2020

2020 Football Uniform Grades.

 Written Friday September 11th at 4:30 PM

Here is what everyone looks forward too, it's when I grade the uniforms. I was sad there wasn't no media day. I don't go into specific detail but I do know that Clarkston, Troy Athens, and Avondale have new uniforms while Berkley changed helmets. If coaches have any changes and new uniforms please let me know and I'll update the blog. Anyway here are the grades.

Clarkston: (Provider: Nike): Finally the Wolves got out of those ugly Under Armor uniforms and back to Nike. I’ll be curious to see if they will have a new home blue set of uniforms. They have a gray set which looks outstanding. The road whites are great, basic plain and simple and no yellow. I wonder if they will have a blue, white, grey, and yellow set of pants. If they go with the yellow pants, they would look a lot like Michigan. The Wolves out of Under Armor could mean better days are ahead. GRADE A-.

Lake Orion: (Provider: Nike): The Dragons changed the uniform this offseason to more of a retro setting with the green and white traditional line on the shoulders of each uniform but they kept the green and white game pants in check. The new uniforms are sort of like a throwback of sorts to go along with the LO helmet. At the end of the day I'm going to miss the opposite elbow uniforms. GRADE B.

Oxford: (Provider: Nike): The Wildcats made a change to Nike this season but the new design doesn't sound right. Oxford's design is very similar to Penn State which is okay with me. They have three different set of game pants, a blue, a white, and a yellow. I don't know why they would a white pair of pants despite the 0-4 record. What really alarms me is the new helmet. The Wildcats went to a gold helmet helmet which scares me. At least they went with the right provider but the gold helmet is what are you doing??? GRADE C.

Southfield Arts and Tech: (Provider: Home and Alternate: Adidas, Road: Nike): The Warriors made some changes in the right direction going to an all-white Nike combination last season. The combo they wore against Clarkston was a complete disaster with the Adidas red pants. The all red home and dark blue look is something I’m not a fan off. The helmet was changed to a white helmet, doesn't sit well with me at all. There is room for improvement here. GRADE F.

West Bloomfield: (Provider: Nike, Alt: Russell-Athletic): The Lakers changed uniforms last season which I like the design to say the least. The helmet design is good, very similar to Alabama but it just needs a paint job. The white pants are also good and I like the alternate jerseys they wear as well, I think they look great. As mentioned they need a paint job on the helmet. GRADE B.

Oak Park: (Provider: Nike): The Knights have four uniforms with a home red, two road white, and an alternate black. I think this design is pretty good especially the opposite elbows on both the red and white uniforms. I don’t like the other white combo, I think that jersey is too plain. The all black looks good to go along with the black helmet. I like Oak Park’s design but please get rid of the white plain uniform, just doesn’t look that good. GRADE B.

Stoney Creek: (Provider: Under Armor): The Cougars uniform design is very interesting. I like the home navy blue white the gold trim and also the alternate gold uniforms they have. The whites I like as well which is great as well. The helmet needs some work I want them to go back to the Cougar head which was popular under then coach Brad Zube. That is the look for me and not the SC or the number on the side. This is something that Coach Nick Merlo should work on is the helmet even a Cougar with the Armor Up shield makes more sense than the one they have right now. GRADE B-.

Groves: (Provider: Nike): I don’t know why the Falcons decided to change to a plain white uniform with white pants. It makes no sense with me. I hope they don’t change the green with the gold and black at home. The green helmet is fine but they really need to change the white uniform, really disappointed with that last season. GRADE C.

Seaholm: (Provider: Nike): The Maples uniform design is fine especially with the names on the back but the only problem I have is the helmet. They need a good paint job to get it back to Maple or something. White helmet just doesn’t cut it with me at all. GRADE B-.

North Farmington: (Provider: Nike): The Raiders uniform hasn’t changed in two seasons but it is a much better look than they have been. North Farmington has brown uniforms with brown pants and white on white. The helmet needs a whole new design and a paint job. If they can address that then the uniform combination would be much better. GRADE B.

Farmington: (Provider: Nike): The Falcons along with arch rival North Farmington had a uniform redesign. Farmington used to have the Penn State design but they changed. I wish they would repaint the helmet but keep the design. I’m not a big fan of the gray though but the student athletes like it I guess. GRADE B-.

Adams: (Provider- Home: Adidas, Road and Alt: Russell Athletic): The Highlanders made a huge change last season going from brown to an all yellow design last season. The road uniforms and alternate uniforms remained the same. Adams changed the helmet design back to their traditional 1960’s Adams wording on them which is something I don’t like. It will be interesting to see if they make any changes but I don’t see them changing anytime soon. GRADE C.

Bloomfield Hills: (Provider: Nike): The Blackhawks made huge changes. Bloomfield Hills went back to the all black uniforms including the helmets. The road uniforms will be all white with the black helmet. It's a huge improvement to say the least. GRADE A.

Ferndale: (Provider: Russell Athletic): The Eagles changed their helmet last season from yellow to brown. The uniforms have remained the same from last season with the home browns, alternate yellow, and road white uniforms. I’ve liked the design of the uniforms. There are no changes needed. GRADE A.

Pontiac: (Provider: Nike): The Phoenix went white uniforms last season even for home games. I like this combination a lot especially the design of the uniform. It’s a very unique look with the purple or white pants with the purple helmet. I want them to bring back the purple home uniforms but the whites are great. GRADE A.

Avondale:  (Provider: Nike): The Yellow Jackets changed their providers from Adidas to Nike in the offseason. Avondale will have three uniforms, a purple, white, and black set. The change makes a lot of sense and a fresh change should help things moving forward. The helmet got a makeover which was great. Overall I love the design and new Nike uniforms. GRADE A.

Troy Athens: (Provider: Nike): The Red Hawks finally went back with Nike after being with Adidas for a while. The gold helmet makes for a good look but the A doesn’t cut it with me.  The red with gold pants are great but also the all red is great as well. The white looks great as well even with white, gold, or red pants. The uniforms have the players names on the back which is a huge bonus. The uniform looks great but the helmet needs a Red Hawk and not the A. GRADE: A-.

Troy: (Provider: Home, Nike, Road Adidas): The Colts made some changes to the uniforms and went with Nike at home. The new home black uniform has the numbers in white on the shoulders and white strides on the elbows, hopefully they put the players last names on the back. The road uniforms are from Adidas which is not a good thing for me. The helmets are improved slightly even though the number is on the side and the TC on the other side. Overall the home uniforms are an improvement but the helmet needs work.  GRADE C.

Rochester:  (Provider: Under Armor): The Falcons went back to the blue helmet which was a great decision. They wear white pants at home and on the road. There wasn’t much changes to the uniforms with the home blue uniforms. If they have another set of pants and make them blue, that would also look good as well. I liked the helmet change, it’s much better than the white helmets. GRADE B.

Royal Oak:  (Provider: Home and Alt-Russell-Athletic, Road-Adidas): There really hasn’t been that much changes in the three uniforms of the Ravens. Royal Oak’s home blacks are very nice but the road whites need a lot of work. I don’t like the Adidas logo sticking out on the uniform. The alternate blue is okay but they don’t need to go with white pants. If they go with black pants it could be better. The helmet needs some work though, need to go back to the Ravens logo to where it got them. GRADE C.

Berkley:  (Provider: Nike): The uniforms did not change from last season but they were awesome when the finish product came out. All they needed to do was change the helmet and they did just that going back to the blue helmet with the bear scratch. I like this uniform a lot with the last names on the back and the helmet. GRADE A+.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.