Monday, December 9, 2019

OAA/Lakes Valley Challenge Girls Basketball Preview and Predictions.

Written Monday December 9th at 4:10 PM

Here is my projections and preview heading into the OAA/Lakes Valley Challenge this weekend in Girls Basketball.

Friday 12/13 @ Lakeland

TROY vs Walled Lake Northern (5 PM): The Colts have been rolling people as of late on their way to a 2-0 start. Troy has a very tough matchup on Tuesday night against Berkley. The Knights have lost two straight games to OAA schools including a 34-32 loss to Royal Oak along with a 49-41 defeat against North Farmington. The Colts should present challenges to Walled Lake Northern. I think the Colts have more balance than the Knights in this game. PICK: TROY.

TROY ATHENS vs Lakeland (7 PM): The Red Hawks are improved but so are the Eagles. Lakeland beat Hazel Park last season in this challenge while Troy Athens beat Milford in the same challenge. I think the Red Hawks are better-rounded than the Eagles despite being at Lakeland. I like Troy Athens in this matchup. PICK: TROY ATHENS.

Friday 12/13 @ Walled Lake Central

FARMINGTON vs Milford (5 PM): The Dave Browne Bowl. Browne coached at Farmington until he took the Milford job in 2016. The Falcons have been competitive losing 48-39 to Royal Oak but they will have a prior game against Troy Athens on Tuesday night. The Mavericks are off to a strong start which included wins over Brandon 38-27 and Linden 38-32. They have Walled Lake Northern this week prior to Friday's matchup. It will be a tough task for Coach Laura Guzman’s team to win this matchup though but it will be close. PICK: MILFORD.

STONEY CREEK vs Walled Lake Central (7 PM): The Cougars are a young team and should be 2-1 heading into that game. Walled Lake Central came off a 31-24 loss to Oxford on Friday night. The game is on the Vikings home court but I think Lily DiPanni is the difference maker in this matchup. PICK: STONEY CREEK.

Saturday 12/14 @ West Bloomfield

BLOOMFIELD HILLS vs South Lyon East (Different Date-TBA): When these two teams do play it could be interesting. The Blackhawks have the talent to matchup with anyone. The Cougars have experience but going up against a player like Jordan Banks will be too much for South Lyon East. PICK: BLOOMFIELD HILLS.

NORTH FARMINGTON vs South Lyon (1:30 PM): The Raiders have been playing better as of late. They should be 3-0 heading into to their game against the Lions pending if they can beat Detroit Cornerstone on Tuesday night. South Lyon lost 26-23 to Wixom St. Catherine of Sienna Academy last week. I expect this to be a low scoring game but North Farmington has experienced guards in Molly Simpson and Mya Kelly, that’s the difference in this matchup. PICK: NORTH FARMINGTON.

ADAMS vs Waterford Mott (3:30 PM): This is a rematch of last season’s 55-52 victory by Adams over Waterford Mott in the challenge. The Highlanders have more experience than Waterford Mott heading into this matchup. The Corsairs have split against the OAA thus far by losing 37-25 to Troy but they beat Rochester 47-40 last week. It will be interesting to see how these two teams matchup but expect it to be a physical affair. Adams has more options which is why I see them winning this physical game. PICK: ADAMS.

CLARKSTON vs Waterford Kettering (5:15 PM): The Wolves had a sour taste last season losing to Walled Lake Western last season in the challenge however they did get their revenge by beating the Warriors on their home court last week. Waterford Kettering is off to a surprising start which resulted in a 61-24 blowout loss to Farmington Hills Mercy and a tough 56-54 loss to Avondale last week. I think Clarkston has too much experience in this matchup with the Captains in this matchup. PICK: CLARKSTON.

WEST BLOOMFIELD vs Walled Lake Western (7 PM): The Lakers and Warriors were and still expected to do big things this season however both teams have one loss each coming into the game. Walled Lake Western lost 57-47 to Clarkston on the road last Tuesday night. West Bloomfield fell 62-50 to Detroit Renaissance last Monday night in Detroit. The Lakers have a really tough game with River Rouge looming on Thursday night at home. It will be interesting on the gray top as both teams have experience heading into this matchup but West Bloomfield has home court. I can see the OAA sweeping Saturday and this could be the exclamation point. PICK: WEST BLOOMFIELD.

My Podcast this week.
https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-12-09-19

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.