Sunday, June 3, 2018

My projected Volleyball and Basketball Districts.

Written Sunday June 3rd at 3:30 PM
Updated Monday June 4th at 3:00 PM

Here is my once in a lifetime projections for the Districts for Volleyball and Basketball once they do come out later this month. Now these aren’t the accurately districts, just my projections based on the geographic locations of each school.
  
I’ll try to do my best and get an idea what they could look like. Here are my projected districts. I explain my reasons why these could be the projected districts.

Division One.

DISTRICT A

CLARKSTON
LAKE ORION
OXFORD
Lapeer
Brandon
Romeo

DISTRICT B

STONEY CREEK
ADAMS
ROCHESTER
Utica Eisenhower
Utica

DISTRICT C

AVONDALE
BLOOMFIELD HILLS
WEST BLOOMFIELD
Waterford Mott
Waterford Kettering
Orchard Lake St. Marys

DISTRICT D

TROY
TROY ATHENS
SEAHOLM
ROYAL OAK
BERKLEY
Birmingham Brother Rice/Birmingham Marian

DISTRICT E

FARMINGTON
NORTH FARMINGTON
Livonia Franklin
Livonia Stevenson
Redford Thurston
Redford Union

DISTRICT F

OAK PARK
SOUTHFIELD ARTS AND TECH
GROVES
Detroit Renaissance
Detroit University-Detroit Jesuit/Farmington Hills Mercy
Warren Fitzgerald

Division Two.

DISTRICT G

HARRISON
PONTIAC
Pontiac Notre Dame Prep
Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood
Macomb Lutheran North
New Haven
Birmingham Detroit Country Day

DISTRICT H

HAZEL PARK
FERNDALE
Ferndale University
Clawson
Center Line
Madison Heights Lamphere

My thoughts.

With Hazel Park, Ferndale, Harrison, and Pontiac all in Division Two. These are my best guesses where each team would head.

In District A, I have Holly going south to see Milford, Walled Lake’s, and Lakeland. Romeo is much closer to Lake Orion and Oxford than going south toward Utica Eisenhower so that's why I put Romeo in this district. Lapeer was an interesting one for me since they are close to Davison and I see the district up involving the Flint area schools splitting up a bit, I see Lapeer as an outlier and sending them back south would be very interesting and proximity favors them to go south then west into this district. I don’t see any changes with Lake Orion, Clarkston, Oxford, or Brandon although Clarkston is close enough to possibly go west but it's not likely that will happen with Holly seeing the Lakes Valley rivals.

In District B, I took Romeo out putting them in District A but brought back a familiar foe in Utica to which they are the closest north in Utica. Utica is much closer north to Utica Eisenhower and the Rochester schools. Thought about bringing Utica Ford II in but it didn’t make any sense doing so.

In District C, there are no changes.

In District D, it was a tough call between sending Groves or Berkley into that district. I thought with Berkley’s geographic location to Royal Oak despite the fact that Oak Park borders them. Groves is a bit more south and closer to Southfield and I felt that sending Berkley into that district would be the best option but it wouldn't surprise me if Groves is sent to this district and that Berkley goes south.

In District E, this will be a radical change with the two Farmington schools. The city of Farmington is in an interesting spot with Novi and Northville to it's southwest but Livonia and Redford are to it's south. Harrison is moving to Division Two or Class B for it's final season as a school. Geographically it’s much closer for Farmington to go south instead of east, they do see Livonia Stevenson a lot in baseball and softball so why not here as well.

In District F,  I thought about putting Groves with their arch rival Seaholm along with Brother Rice/Birmingham Marian and bringing in Detroit Mumford but settled on keeping Groves in this district. Detroit Mumford is moving up to Class A or Division One this upcoming fall so it was hard to figure out where to put them so I kept them in Detroit in another district. I brought Mercy into this district with them east on Middlebelt Road being my divider line where Farmington and North Farmington are west of Middlebelt Road. It wouldn't surprise me if Mercy goes with Farmington and North Farmington but to what I'm seeing with them is that they are going east.

In District G which is Division Two or Class B, with the expected surge of teams coming up and down. Pontiac, Pontiac Notre Dame Prep, Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood made perfect sense from a geographic standpoint to keep them together. I thought about bringing Birmingham Detroit Country Day into this district because of the lack of teams particularly in girls basketball. I took Algonac out and put them with their arch rivals in the Blue Water Area Conference. Also thought about Macomb Lutheran North and New Haven but with no where to put them this is where they needed to be at. New Haven needs to be in this district for all sports not just boys basketball like they were last season. Harrison coming into this district will be interesting in its final season as a school but without a Girls Basketball program it concerns me so that's why I have Birmingham Detroit Country Day coming into this district.

In District H, there aren't really a ton of changes but decided to put Birmingham Detroit Country Day back north toward Pontiac and New Haven. Hazel Park enters into this district. It also gives teams like Clawson, Ferndale, Madison Heights Lamphere, and Center Line a great chance to get a district title as well.

We shall see what the actual districts will look like for Basketball and Volleyball in a few weeks from the MHSAA. Any questions feel free to respond or listen to my podcast on it, will put it up by the end of the week.

Here is the Soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-6518

2 comments:

  1. I put Mercy with Detroit University-Detroit Jesuit since Detroit University-Detroit Jesuit is an all Boys school while Mercy is an all Girls school as well. I concluded that they should be in a district with Oak Park, Detroit Renaissance, Southfield, Warren Fitzgerald, and Groves based on their geographic location. North Farmington and Farmington are west of Middlebelt and Mercy is east and since I have North and Farmington with Livonia and Redford also there is room for one more team in that district out to the east and that U-D Jesuit will have Boys Basketball covered, Mercy will have Volleyball and Girls Basketball covered.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.