Friday, June 1, 2018

Clarkston has their new Girls Basketball Coach.

Written Saturday June 2nd at 12:10 AM

The Wolves coaching search appears to be over.

According to an accurate source, Clarkston will name John Weyer as the team's next head coach replacing Christine Rogers.

Weyer is well known around the AAU circuit and for developing players to have great careers. He coaches the Michigan PR1DE team in the summer and has been to games supporting the players he has developed and continuing developing.

There will be a meet and greet for the new coach for players and their families that will take place on June 7th according to the Clarkston Facebook page.

Rogers led the Wolves to the State Quarterfinals last season going 20-5, sharing the Red with Southfield Arts and Tech. She had players like Kayla Luchenbach, Maddie Beck, and Molly Nicholson. All three were trained by Weyer at some point in their careers.

Weyer will have some young talent to work with next season however they will have only one starter back in Taylor Heaten but he will have a ton of talent to work with especially from a Junior Varsity team that went 20-0 in the tough Red last season. That group was led by Kaitlyn Kaul, Olivia Toderan, Lexi Linton, and Piper Bosart.

Heaten, Linton, and Toderan currently play for the PR1DE whom is coached by Weyer.

Thoughts

I do like this hire by Jeff Kosin whom is Clarkston's Athletic Director. Weyer will bring out the best of his new team and the players he inherits especially from his PR1DE team knows what he likes to do. Weyer is a proven winner when you look at the AAU ranks with the PR1DE but I wonder how his coaching style from the AAU ranks will adapt to the coaching in the High School ranks.

When you look at the league that the Wolves will be in this upcoming season, there will be some challenges especially since they will be in the Red and dealing with the likes of Southfield Arts and Tech, Royal Oak, Bloomfield Hills, Stoney Creek, North Farmington, and Groves.

Clarkston will be a very young team on paper, I would expect some growing pains during the season. Also the Red is very difficult as mentioned especially with Southfield Arts and Tech, Bloomfield Hills, and Royal Oak returning a ton of Varsity experience while Stoney Creek, and North Farmington are well established programs. Groves will be very young next season.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

Here is the Soundcloud from the podcast.
https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-6518

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.