Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Hazel Park has their new Boys Basketball Coach.

Written Tuesday June 5th at 12:10 PM

A new era at "The Park" is here.

The Vikings according to a very accurate source has named Stefan Wilson as the team's new Boys Basketball coach replacing Brandon Barrett whom left to take over at Detroit University Prep.

Wilson is well known around the OAA, coaching the Boys program at Harrison from 2015-2017. He also coached the Girls Basketball program for the Hawks on an interim basis in 2016.

Wilson is known for his up-tempo game. He will bring that same style to Hazel Park but the Vikings lost a ton of players including Carl Bow, David Hearns, and Devin Pettis.

Wilson is basically starting the program from scratch.

Hazel Park is coming off two very successful seasons including last season going 18-2 but suffered a tough loss to Detroit University-Detroit Jesuit in the district semifinals last season.

The Vikings have one player back from that team.

Hazel Park moved down two divisions from the Red to the Blue. The Vikings will compete with the likes of Ferndale, Pontiac, Seaholm, Oxford, Berkley, Harrison, and Royal Oak. They will be in Division Two or formally Class B once the postseason starts because of enrollment.

Thoughts

Wilson will have a tough rebuilding job at Hazel Park as mentioned building it from scratch. I wonder who in the right frame of mind would want this job after the successes of the past.

Wilson will also have to build a Junior Varsity and Freshman program, something that I know he is more than capable of doing. Currently there is no Junior Varsity or Freshman coaches as of yet for the Vikings.

If there is one positive for Wilson is that he knows the division well which will help his very young team this season.

The Blue will be much tougher than it has been in years past especially with the recent changes in the division.

I wish Wilson the best of luck at Hazel Park knowing that he has a tough job ahead of him.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

Here is the Soundcloud from the podcast.
https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-061218

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.