Monday, June 25, 2018

Is Spring Football a Good Idea???

Written Monday June 25th at 2:40 PM

There has been a debate going on for years, some states do it, some don't. Should the State of Michigan have spring football???

According to Detroit Free Press sports writer Perry Farrell some high school coaches are considering it.

Farrell talked to former Flint Powers Catholic and Notre Dame defensive back Todd Lyght. He was all in on the idea of spring football in Michigan “I definitely think there should be spring ball in Michigan. Anytime you get an opportunity to develop your team and your student-athlete then take advantage of it. Every State is a little bit different as far as how they approach spring ball. I know the Midwest with the rules the way they are. I think it’s a disadvantage for student-athletes and they fall behind the kids in the south and in the west in development. There are more seven on seven camps, seven on seven tournaments, things like that. So in the Midwest due to the weather and the way the rules are set up the development is stunted with the system. It’s better for team camaraderie also.”

College and some High School coaches like the idea of having spring football because it allows colleges to evaluate players and teach the fundamentals of the game.

Nate Hamilton whom is the assistant director of the MHSAA is against the idea of having spring football because of safety concerns. Hamilton said to Farrell addressing his concerns. “Going back to the days when I coached (in Detroit), we would’ve thought that it would be a fantastic idea. We live in different times now and I really worry about the contact aspect of additional contact outside the season involving football.”

High school coaches have said that having six or eight practices will help and that it wouldn’t affect student-athletes playing other sports.

Other coaches have said that it is time for the MHSAA to adapt to today's climate. "I have always said the MHSAA needs to adapt (currently allows ten days of camp and seven days of seven on seven with helmets only.) They need to consider allowing four practices in June (two with helmets and two with shoulder pads.) Also allow a three day camp end of July before the dead week and cut it to four or five seven on sevens" said Lake Orion football coach John Blackstock.

According to Farrell, there was a camp that took place in May which 18 schools took advantage of where 100 college coaches came to Michigan to watch a physical education class during school hours. The pros of having that camp and the others is that there is opportunities for players got Division One scholarship offers and the exposure it offers.

But there is a down side to this.

Weather here in Michigan is a big concern, it can be brutal at times. Also student-athletes play other sports as well besides football. There is baseball, lacrosse, golf, tennis, and track that are in the spring. There are athletes sure that are football only kids but there are others that are multi-sport athletes as well and Academics are important as well. "I wouldn't want to take away from the other spring sports that go on in the spring" said new Stoney Creek football and throws coach Nick Merlo.

Oak Park football coach and Athletic Director Greg Carter talked to Farrell about addressing his concerns. "Down south they have the advantage because they can get started with baseball and track as early as February. If we are allowed to continue to have just one day that kids could compete and show their athletic ability to college coaches in the spring, that's fine with me. We're trying to get our students college scholarships so they have the opportunity to further their education"

Thoughts.

I don’t like the idea of spring football for a couple of reasons. I think it’s too much on the student-athletes especially those who do spring sports. It’s also safety issue for me in case someone gets hurt and it’s a drag on trainers and everyone involved. Also there are schools who don’t have the space or the resources to have spring football. There are coaches that aren’t in the building or that there is not enough student-athletes to have spring football. Student-athletes will always find ways to get their name out (ala The D-Zone, or this blog, or my podcast) and the colleges will come.

I think it’s too much if we have spring football in Michigan. Will having spring football give more opportunities and exposure, sure but at the end of the day football doesn’t always have to be king. For some student-athletes, football is not their main sport and baseball, tennis, golf, lacrosse, and track is. There are also scholarships that can be had as well in those sports.

At the end of the day it's a debate and no one is really wrong about this topic.

Here is Perry Farrell’s article.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.