Saturday, September 30, 2017

Ferndale Keeps on Rolling but can they sustain it???

Written Saturday September 30th at 10:00 AM
Updated Wednesday October 4th at 11:30 AM

The Ferndale Eagles have been a football doormat for years.

Ferndale since their last playoff appearance in 2008 was 22-41.

My oh my has things changed.

Since the 2016 season the Eagles have turned things around going 12-4 since, making the playoffs last season before losing in the first round to eventual State Champs Detroit Martin Luther King.

A lot of that has to be credited with the MHSAA Co-Op Program that was merged between Ferndale and Ferndale University. The program was a big reason why the Eagles were in Division Two and not Division Three for playoffs last season. The MHSAA took into account both Ferndale and Ferndale University's enrollment numbers when they determined where they put the Eagles at.

Even though most of the talent is from Ferndale there are some talent that have went to Ferndale University. Four starters on the team are enrolled at Ferndale University.

Also, what has helped the Eagles is they have three very good football players in KeShawn Smith, Zoser Little, and Anthony Merriman. Smith is the team’s quarterback and was very instrumental in their 42-21 comeback win over Royal Oak. He had 134 yards passing with three passing touchdowns along with six carries for 51 yards. Zoser Little is the team’s running back. He was too also huge against the Ravens with 30 carries for 302 yards and three scores. Merriman is the team’s top wide receiver and he had six receptions for 103 yards and one score.

Ferndale controls their own destiny in the Blue as they sit at 5-1 with their only loss being to Avondale. The Eagles have Hazel Park whom is leading the Blue and at 4-2 overall coming to Ferndale in two weeks.

How will Ferndale Do Against the White or Red???

Now the Eagles in the Blue division, I wonder how coach Erik Royal’s team would do against better competition and bigger enrolled schools???

Ferndale is the second smallest school in the OAA based on enrollment but I wonder how they would match up against teams in the White or even the Red.

It could be possible next season that the Eagles move up to the White which means possible future clashes with the likes of Harrison, Troy Athens, Groves, Seaholm, Rochester, Troy, and Stoney Creek.

I think Ferndale can hold their own in the White, that’s how much of a roll they are on but Royal knows his team would need to step their games up if they move up a division. The move up will also help with playoff points as well. I don’t think they would matchup well with the likes of Southfield Arts and Tech, Oak Park, Clarkston, West Bloomfield, Adams, Orion, or Oxford.

The Eagles are rolling right now but can they keep this momentum up for years to come???, that is the question but right now Ferndale is in a good spot.

4 comments:

  1. Ferndale has a very small roster. No more then 30 players on their varsity team and even smaller of their combined frosh/jv team (15). 80% of their off. and def. starters are enrolled at FHS not UHS. Actually only 8 players for UHS on entire varsity roster. You stated that a lot of their success is due to the co-op but the numbers don't support that statement. It seems to me that this is that coaching staff 4th season and they have turn things around through a lot of hard work. Where the co-op is helped the most is simple adding more numbers to the roster not a lot of talent. Can you find out actual the amount of UHS students who start for FHS? That would be good info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to dig and find that Info. Below Ferndale starting line up and what schools they are enrolled at.

    Offense: LT-Donovan Pitts (FHS), LG-Angel Defay (FHS) , C-Kamau Smith (UHS), RG-Kendrick Mariam (UHS) RT-Torian Belton (FHS), TE-Delrice Davis (UHS), FB-Dylan Martin (FHS), RB-Zoser Little (FHS), QB-Keshawn Smith (FHS), WR-Anthony Merriam (FHS), WR- John Thompson (FHS)

    3 out of 11 starter on offense enrolled at UHS

    Defense

    DE-Donavan Pitts (FHS), DT-Torian Belton (FHS), DT-Jarel Evans (FHS), DE-Seth Griffin (FHS), LB-Zoser Little (FHS), LB-Dylan Martin (FHS), LB-Delrice Davis (UHS), SS-Anthony Merriam (FHS), FS-John Thompson (FHS), CB-Randy Gray (FHS), CB-Jashuan Carson (FHS)

    2 out of 11 defensive starter enrolled at UHS.

    5 out of 22 starters enrolled at UHS

    7/8 two way players

    Looking at these offensive and defensive starters, seems to me pretty much all of FHS talent is enrolled at FHS. Co-Op is helping but looks like it helping more allowing the eagles to run full practice 11 on 11! With 30 guys on the team looks like Ferndale is just out working everybody in the BLUE!!!



    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry correction: 1 out of 11 starters on defense enrolled at UHS; 4 out of 22 starters total enrolled at UHS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info Norman I appreciate it, the Co-Op system has been really important to Ferndale and it has helped in numbers at Ferndale. I do agree on that statement on the Blue, which is why I have ranked Ferndale higher than Hazel Park in the poll. I also give coach Eric Royal credit on turning the program around, it is not easy to do especially with the low enrollment. I'm curious how they would do against the bigger enrolled schools especially if they move up. We're getting a good hint with what is happening with Berkley but I think you guys maybe ready to go up to the White if the league goes four divisions.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.