Friday, March 19, 2021

Whitmer and Khaldun Force All Student-Athletes to be Tested.

Written Friday March 19th at 3:10 PM

Governor Gretchen Whitmer and Michigan Department of Health and Human Services chief executive Joneuah Khaldun announced at an early morning Friday press conference that all student athletes are required to join a weekly antigen testing program. Whitmer and Khaldun stated that almost half of the rising cases in Michigan are coming from student-athletes playing school sports.

This new program would start on April 2nd.

All sports from 13 to 19 years old are required to be in this program which includes middle school and club sports. However higher indoor risk contact winter sports like hockey, cheerleading, and wrestling would be completed before the new program takes effect. Basketball would be in their final week of competition with the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals. Also baseball, softball, and track and field are considered non contact sports while girls soccer and both boys and girls lacrosse are considered to be contact sports despite all of these sports being played outside which is much safer than indoor sports.

Mark Uyl the Executive Director of the MHSAA responded that all winter sports and tournaments will continue as scheduled and that the remaining wrestlers and basketball players will have to antigen test after April 2nd. Also updated guidelines will be updated by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services. He also mentioned that all spring sport athletes are required to test but they don’t know if it will apply to all sports.

“We’re going to do whatever it takes for our kids to play and play safely” Uyl said.

Thoughts

I wasn’t surprised that Whitmer and Khaldun made this decision to test every student-athlete but the timing was very interesting that they would start after that hockey, cheerleading, and wrestling already completing their seasons and with basketball having a week to go. I don’t know if it’s a whole team or just that player that has to sit out if they test positive for the coronavirus. Also spring sports which most of them are outdoors which includes baseball, softball, tennis, and track and field. Therse are low risk sports while girls soccer and both girls and boys lacrosse are contact sports.

What I don’t get is that these spring sports are the less risky when it comes to outdoors and social distancing. End of the day at least school sports are not shut down again.

Stay tuned to the blog for the latest on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.