Monday, March 29, 2021

Girls Basketball Regional Preview.

Written Monday March 29 at 9:10 AM 

Here is my early regional outlooks which games are played on Monday and Wednesday. I will have more on the podcast this week.

Region Eight at Chippewa Valley

 

STONEY CREEK vs Utica

Lakeview vs Macomb L’Anse Cruse North

 

THOUGHTS/INSIGHT: This is shaping up to be a very interesting regional at Chippewa Valley. Both Lakeview and Macomb L’Anse Cruse North are having very strong seasons. Lakeview has played the much tougher schedule but L’Anse Cruse North went through both Port Huron schools to get to this point and that says a lot. The winner of that game will see Stoney Creek or Utica. Both teams are well coached and have very good guard play with Lina Rea and Mia Carson. The intangibles are expected to decide this game.

PREDICTION: I’m seeing this being a Stoney Creek/Lakeview regional final. The Huskies are big and deep but the Cougars aren’t here for a reason. I see Stoney Creek moving to the State quarterfinals. PICK: STONEY CREEK.

 

Region Seven at Detroit Renaissance

 

GROVES vs Farmington Hills Mercy

Detroit Renaissance vs Grosse Pointe South

 

THOUGHTS/INSIGHT: It has been a great first season for Coach AntJuan Simpkins. The Falcons young talent has really played to their potential. Groves should be tested in this regional against a very good and Catholic League Champs Farmington Hills Mercy team that is talented, well coached, and led by Alexis Roberts. If the Falcons can get by the Marlins then they would see the host school in Detroit Renaissance. The Phoenix have a loaded roster and a ton of proven experience. This is shaping up to be an interesting regional.

PREDICTION: The Groves/Farmington Hills Mercy game is basically a pick em. I think the Falcons have played just enough of a tough schedule early to get by the Marlins but sadly their luck will run out in the regional finals. PICK: DETROIT RENAISSANCE.

 

 

Region Two at Holly

 

CLARKSTON vs Birmingham Marian

Lakeland vs Hartland

 

THOUGHTS/INSIGHT: This is a very tough regional at Holly. Hartland and Birmingham Marian both have size and length heading into this regional. Clarkston is very tenacious while Lakeland has taken advantage of the opportunity given to them. The Wolves were second in the Red this season. Lakeland was middle of the pack in the Lakes Valley Conference. Birmingham Marian finished second in the Catholic League behind Farmington Hills Mercy. Hartland won the Kensington Lakes Activities Association regular season and tournament this year. Heading into the regional, the Wolves could be in for a very rough time against the Mustangs as Lakeland is against Hartland. It’s going to be interesting to see if Clarkston or Lakeland could put a dent in the plans of Birmingham Marian or Hartland.

PREDICTION: This is going to be a Birmingham Marian/Hartland regional final with apologizes to Clarkston and Lakeland. I think the Eagles have more size and depth than the Mustangs. PICK: HARTLAND. 

 

My Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-03-29-21wav

2 comments:

  1. Clarkston without 3 starters and only 7 players total. We would have rolled Marian with a full squad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad, it still would had been a very tough matchup for Clarkston even with their full squad. Marian's height would had pose problems for the Wolves. I give Clarkston a ton of credit for battling in that game. That regional even if the Wolves had their full team, it would have been too much for them especially with Hartland on the other side.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.