Monday, March 18, 2019

There will be new Boys Basketball Coaches at Lake Orion and Avondale next season.

Written Monday March 18th at 10:30 PM

There will be a new coaches at Avondale and at Lake Orion next season for Boys Basketball.

Dragons coach Jim Manzo will retire from teaching and coaching in June. Manzo led Lake Orion to a district final appearance and competed in the Red this season.

According to Oakland Schools, the job was posted last week.

Manzo brought the Dragons back to relevance in his second stint back with the team. Lake Orion shared the Blue with Rochester with a 17-3 record in 2017-2018.

The Dragons went 13-9 this season in the tough Red losing to Oxford in the district finals at home.

Whomever the new coach is will have some talent coming back in the form of Jack Cummings, Isiah Harris, Cameron Sutton, Drew Van Heck, and Dylan Boedigheimer. Lake Orion will likely be in the Red next season after finishing tied with North Farmington for second place at 6-6.

Yellow Jackets coach Tim Morton has stepped down from coaching at Avondale to focus on his running his homegrown business next season. Morton led the Yellow Jackets to bit of a resurgence in his second stint back but this season was a struggle for his team.

Avondale will have some talent back next season but questions loom for this team. The Yellow Jackets finished at 9-13 in the tough White losing to Bloomfield Hills in the district semifinals.

We’ll keep an eye on both the coaching searches at Lake Orion and at Avondale.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

2 comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.