Friday, March 8, 2019

Girls Basketball Regional Preview and Predictions.

Written Friday March 8th at 10:45 PM

Here is my insight and projections heading into the regionals with only two OAA teams left in West Bloomfield and Southfield Arts and Tech. Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest heading into the tournament.

Here are my thoughts and insight.

Region 2 @ Lakeland

WEST BLOOMFIELD vs Hartland
Waterford Kettering vs Walled Lake Western

THOUGHTS/INSIGHT: The Lakers whom won not only the White but also their district for the first time since 1999 at home over Bloomfield Hills, Waterford Mott, and Avondale but this regional will be a huge challenge for coach Bert Mosley’s team. West Bloomfield will have to deal with a very good Hartland team that features Whitney Sollom whom has been a double-double machine lately and won a district that featured Howell, Holly, Fenton, and Linden. Waterford Kettering won a competitive district that had Lake Orion, Adams, Oxford, Romeo, and Clarkston. The Captains bring a ton of experience with them led by Markayla Holland, Claire Braghahn, Ashley Watson, Irene Schoof, and Izzy Dugal. Walled Lake Western whom has a ton of talent themselves led by Kailee Ford and are well coached under former Oxford coach Steve Emert. The Warriors won the Lakes Valley Conference regular season crown and their district which had Walled Lake Northern, Walled Lake Central, Lakeland, and Milford.

PREDICTION: If the Lakers can survive Hartland which will be a very tough task then they will likely have to deal with Walled Lake Western in a rematch which could be almost beyond impossible but then again I can’t doubt this team though but as mentioned it will be a tough task. The Warriors should handle Waterford Kettering even though it is hard to beat a team three times in one season which Walled Lake Western will have if they can beat the Captains. At the end of the day though I see a rematch between Hartland and the Warriors but it will be the same result. PICK: HARTLAND.

Region 7 @ Southfield Arts and Tech

SOUTHFIELD ARTS AND TECH vs Warren Cousino
Grosse Pointe North vs Birmingham Marian

THOUGHTS/INSIGHT: This is an interesting regional because there is a ton of star power in this regional and the top two teams in the State, a final four team from last season, and a State title team from two years ago are here as well. The Warriors have Alexis Johnson, Soldel Barnes, Cheyenne McEvans, and Kayonia Willis for coach Michelle Marshall. Grosse Pointe North has Michigan State bound Julia Ayrsult. Warren Cousino has Kate McArthur. Birmingham Marian who beat Berkley and Royal Oak in districts has Olivia Moore and a young core for coach Mary Cicerone.

PREDICTION: Home court WILL matter in this district despite Southfield Arts and Tech losing at home in the past but this is a different Warriors team though with a ton of experience and on a mission. I see a Southfield Arts and Tech vs Birmingham Marian regional final and as mentioned home court matters and the Warriors will live another day. PICK: SOUTHFIELD ARTS AND TECH.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.