Friday, March 29, 2019

Avondale has their new Varsity Football Coach.

Written Friday March 29th at 2:25 PM

The Yellow Jackets have their new football coach.

Avondale named Corey Bell as the team’s new Varsity football coach replacing Ed Couturier who stepped down after spending three seasons with the team taking them to the playoffs in the last two years.

Bell was confirmed on the Avondale Yellow Jackets Athletic Twitter and Facebook pages. There was also a meet and greet that took place on Monday night.

Bell played quarterback at Oxford under coach Bud Rowley before going to Alma College where he played on the offensive side of the ball and on special teams where he was the Scotts special teams player of the year in 2015. Bell would get into the coaching ranks after college football. He coached quarterbacks and wide receivers while at Findlania University last season.

Bell coming to his new team will have some talented linemen back in Jamison Jodway and Brian Keturkas and running backs David Holloman along with Torey Coleman who can also play defensive back. Avondale will need to find a quarterback and some wide recievers that can make an impact this upcoming fall.

The Yellow Jackets have went 13-10 in the last two seasons which included both playoff appearances to which they lost to Brandon in 2017 and Farmington last season. 

Avondale will have Berkley, Ferndale, North Farmington, Farmington, Royal Oak, and Pontiac in the Blue this season.

Thoughts.

I really like this hire because of the local ties and experience although I’m curious how Bell will change the offense around at Avondale going away from the veer to more of a power or spread look. The defense will be a question but what Bell brings is a ton of experience which will help his new team get things rolling.

The Yellow Jackets are expected to compete for the Blue this season with the likes of Farmington, North Farmington and Ferndale. Those three teams look to be their top challengers to Avondale this season. The Yellow Jackets open up the season with Troy and then Detroit Renaissance the following week before closing out the season against Seaholm.

Bell joins Jon Herstein whom coaches at North Farmington as new head coaches in the OAA. Pontiac is still looking for a new head coach last updated.

It will be interesting but the Yellow Jackets got themselves one heck of a football coach.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.