Wednesday, February 24, 2021

West Bloomfield Has Their New Varsity Football Coach.

Written Wednesday February 24th at 11:40 AM

West Bloomfield didn’t even need to look far for their new head coach.

The Lakers named defensive coordinator and assistant coach Tyrice Grice as the new coach of the program replacing Ron Bellamy whom left to be an assistant at Michigan.

Grice brings a ton of coaching experience on his resume. He has coached 26 years whether it was being the head coach at Detroit Renaissance from 2010-2011 or as an assistant at Southfield Lathrup from 2008-2009. Grice has been with West Bloomfield for eight years including last season’s Division One State Championship run.

He was a graduate at Detroit Pershing and played College Football at Western Michigan.

Grice will have a ton of experience to work with this season. It is also expected that most of Bellamy’s staff will stay on for Grice at West Bloomfield.

The Lakers are expected to be one of the top teams in the State this season with returning players in Amir Herring, Brandon Davis Swann, Dillion Tatum, Michael Williams, Semaj Morgan, Zander Davis, among others. He will have a very good quarterback in Requan Nance ready to take the reigns.

West Bloomfield also has program strength which should help Grice now and in the future.

My Thoughts.

I liked that West Bloomfield Athletic Director Eric Pierce went in house with their coaching hire. Grice brings varsity coaching experience and he knows the kids. I’m going to be curious if any if he will make some changes or keep Bellamy’s principles intact. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story. 

 

Here is the press release.

https://westbloomfieldathletics.com/2021/02/24/tyrice-grice-announced-as-new-varsity-head-football-coach/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.