Sunday, November 11, 2018

The End of an Era.

Written Sunday November 11th at 5:40 PM

An end of an era occurred on Saturday afternoon in Farmington Hills.

Harrison and their coach John Herrington whom is the State’s all-time winningest head coach at 443 wins lost a heartbreaker 21-14 to Chelsea in the Division Four Regional finals, ending the legendary era of Hawks football.

Harrison which is stated to close in June has a lot of football tradition from players like Devin Funchess, Mark Dell, Drew Stanton, Akim Shabaj, Kahid Kareem, Ovie Oguffalo, Roderick Heard, and others that have went on to play Division One College Football, and even in the NFL.

When Harrison entered the OAA in 2003 along with city rivals North Farmington and Farmington, no one knew what to expect and how the Hawks would adjust to life in the OAA.

The Hawks adjusted just fine to life in the OAA. Harrison was a proud football program with 13 State titles all under Herrington whom arrived in 1970 and been in 18 State Finals. Harrison would develop rivalries in the OAA with the likes of Southfield, Oak Park, Groves, Adams, Oxford, West Bloomfield, Clarkston, and Lake Orion, not to mention their city rivals in North Farmington and Farmington.

When the decision by the Farmington School Board came down in 2016 to close Harrison, there was controversy and there was a lot of backlash, several members of the community including Herrington spoke but at the end of the day the School Board did not change their decision and gave Harrison three years.

The Hawks were the football power in Farmington, going deep into the State playoffs including reaching the Division Three title game last season.

When I read Scott Burnstein’s article in the Oakland Press after Harrison’s loss to Chelsea, I read a quote by Herrington to Burnstein “Normally after a loss like this you tell your kids, you tell yourself, we put this behind us and we move on however right now there’s nowhere for us to move on to. That’s pretty hard reality to swallow.”

I remember the battles as a player (I played at Lake Orion) against Herrington’s Hawks teams. I was on the team that gave Herrington one of his 112 losses, winning 19-0 in my junior year and one that was a part of his 443 wins, losing my senior year 14-10.

It’s going to feel weird without Herrington or Harrison as a school as the Farmington School District who sold the property to the city of Farmington will turn Harrison into a Community Center in June but the complex will stay and Herrington's name and Sports Complex will stay forever. 

I’m going to miss Buller Field at the Herrington Sports Complex and the scoreboard which was old school with the 13 State Championship boards on the bottom that stood proudly on the north side of the endzone.

I’m going to really miss speaking to Herrington especially during Media Day. He was honest and kind when I interviewed him. This season, I didn’t want to talk about the end because I knew it was near but he was upbeat looking forward to the season. Herrington is truly an icon and he will forever be missed as well as the school that bared the green and gold.

The State of Michigan will lose one of its greatest legendary coaches and men on the sidelines but the legacy of Harrison football will always live on and forever will.

Here are some videos from Media Day and the ONTV News Story from Media Day.

2016

2017

2018

ONTV News Media Day 2018

2 comments:

  1. Excellent Harrison recap regarding end of an era!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wood, I also put the podcast this week on Harrison.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.