Friday, October 5, 2018

Dragons name new Girls Basketball Coach.

Written Friday October 5th at 2:05 PM

Lake Orion Athletic Director Chris Bell has named Bob Brydges as the team’s next Varsity Girls Basketball coach after coach Mike Griffin was needed at Sterling Heights to coach their Boys Basketball team according to Twitter.

Griffin was the coach at Sterling Heights until 2014 when he took some time off before becoming the Dragons new coach last season.

Griffin will have to rebuild the Stallions program after it went 9-12 last season. Sterling Heights will be a better program this season because of Griffin. He is a teacher in the school district.

Lake Orion will have its fourth coach in four seasons but Brydges is familiar with the program coming over from Bloomfield Hills Lahser until 2013. Brydges was the coach for the Knights until they merged with Bloomfield Hills Andover and became Bloomfield Hills.

Brydges was in the running for the Blackhawks Girls Basketball job but it went to Jeff Rubin.

Brydges came to Lake Orion and worked with three different coaches in Steve Roberts, Kevin Kopec, and Griffin. He coached the Freshman team for three seasons and the Junior Varsity team last year.

Brydges will have a team that has a ton of returners from last season from a team that went 4-16 and moved down the White. Lake Orion has Sophie Wyborski, Kendall Robertson, Paytin Shadaia, Kylie Anderson, Grace Berger, Abbey Maresch, and Meghan Marshall all returning.

The Dragons under Brydges are expected to be one of the favorites heading into the season in the White.

Thoughts.

Griffin was needed at Sterling Heights to fix their program and I think he will do a very good job there.

I think it was a great move for Bell to keep the program in house with Brydges. Brydges was a Varsity coach but also coached in the Freshman, Junior Varsity, and the Oakview Eighth Grade program.

It will be very interesting to see what happens.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

Here is the Podcast on the story
https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-10-09-18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.