Monday, July 24, 2017

Emert coaching again but in different league.

Written Tuesday July 25th at 12:00 AM

Now I know this is a little bit out of our coverage area but Steve Emert is back in the game coaching Girls Basketball.

Emert was named head coach at Walled Lake Western succeeding Skip Stevenson. Stevenson led the Warriors to their first district title in 29 years and went the Regional Final last season in which they lost to Farmington Hills Mercy. He previously coached at Walled Lake Central leading them to a State Championship appearance in 1995.

Emert brings a high-octane tempo game along with a heavy full court press. They will shoot a ton of three pointers as well. He has also coached Boys Basketball while at Walled Lake Central and has 400 career wins as a head coach.

Emert is well known around the OAA, coaching at Oxford from 2011 until 2016. He had a very interesting departure from the Wildcats in the 2016 season. Oxford is now coached by an Emert assistant in Rachel Bryer.

Emert has coached the likes of Miranda Murphy, Jessica Murphy, Abby Butkewicz, Madelyn Morris, Cherlyn Bandis, and Jayne Butkewicz when he was at Oxford.

Emert’s new team has a ton of experience coming back. They are in a new league in the Lakes Valley Conference. Walled Lake Western should compete with Waterford Kettering for the league crown this season, last season both the Warriors and Captains shared the then KLAA North title.

Emert will open up the season against a familiar foe when he was at Oxford in Kellen James and the Stoney Creek Cougars on December 1st at Stoney Creek.

Thoughts.

I got to wonder how the folks at Oxford feel about Emert coming back into coaching, especially with the way he went out back in 2016. I don’t know if they care or not but Emert did bring some success while he was at Oxford including a White title in 2015.

I’m not sure if Bryer would scrimmage or play against Emert, it would be interesting if the Wildcats were to play Walled Lake Western but it’s possible both of them could go their separate ways with their programs.

We shall see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.