Sunday, July 17, 2016

Cutting Football Players is NOT the way to go, no matter the numbers.

Written Sunday July 17th at 10:05 AM

Well as I was reading the In Play blog by Tom Markowski, I was disturbed by what the new Southfield Arts and Technology football team was doing.

Cutting players.

What, why??? I thought you can keep everyone for the football program???

Guess Not.

122 players tried out for the team but only 70 kids made the cut before the Warriors first game at Wayne State against Detroit Martin Luther King on August 27th.

Now coach Tim Conley has never been in this position before when Southfield and Southfield-Lathrup combined schools to become Southfield Arts and Technology. They will start their season this upcoming fall.

Conley will have ten starters on offense and defense returning. Most of the returnees whom are back are which he coached at Southfield last season. Also there were a handful of players whom played at Lathrup decided to stay on the team while others transferred either to West Bloomfield or Groves.

Thoughts.

Cutting players especially in football is terrible especially those who have a disability and have a passion for the game. I don't think Conley will do this again but when two schools merge then you got to do something but I don't think cutting them is right.

There are powerhouse schools like Clarkston and Orion that have 85-90 kids on their team and they didn't cut players.

They may not be the best players but if they feel just to be a part of the team then there are no problems at all. It also keeps students out of trouble.

Well for the students whom didn't make the cut there are other sports out there like soccer, cross country, and tennis. Southfield should field a good soccer team this season while the Warriors cross country, and their tennis program will be up and coming.

We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.