Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Thompson Named Knights Head Coach.

Written Wednesday June 15th at 10:45 PM

The Oak Park Knights have their eighth Boys Basketball coach in nine years.

Bobby Thompson was hired Wednesday night by football coach and Athletic Director Greg Carter after an intense coaching search. He replaces Jamie Thomas after only one season on the bench.

Thompson brings a ton of experience, he coached at River Rouge and at Oak Park Academy where his squad won a Class B District title.

Oak Park last season finished 8-12 under Thomas and Carter. The Knights need stability in the worst way and they hope Thompson can give them that stability they need.

Thomas was ejected during a game last season and was suspended for the rest of the season. Carter took over the team the rest of the season including their 63-40 pre-district loss to Detroit Renaissance.

Oak Park was a powerhouse program in the 1980's have fallen on hard times lately. Just two seasons ago former coach Bryan Tipton was caught changing players grades trying to get some of them eligible to play. Carter would then coach the rest of the season that year.

Thompson will have his son Bobby Jr along with newcomer Dwan Mathis this season along with a few other solid players. Bobby Jr played at Oak Park last season. The Knights are in a tough White division going up against the likes of Avondale, Troy, Pontiac, Hazel Park, and Troy Athens. The district won't be easy for Oak Park as they go to Detroit Renaissance and have to deal with their arch rival Southfield, Detroit Renaissance, or the defending State Champions Detroit-University of Detroit Jesuit.

There is only one coaching vacancy left all over the OAA and it's in Pontiac folks.

Let the Bobby Thompson era begin in Knight Valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.