Thursday, June 2, 2016

Shocker at Southfield.

Written Thursday June 2nd at 11:30 PM

Well many experts around the media would had thought that Michelle Marshall would had been a shoe in to take over the new Southfield Arts and Technology Girls Basketball team. She has a State Championship and was the dean of the OAA when it comes to coaches.

Well that may not be the case.

According to three accurate sources the Warriors have named former Southfield coach Jamie Glinz the new Girls Basketball coach for the new school. The reasons why he was named over Marshall was very interesting.

Glinz has developed players while he was at Southfield. Also having a freshman team could had been another reason why Glinz was chosen over Marshall.

Lathrup last season did not have a freshman team.

It was a shocker that Marshall wasn't named the new head coach but the new Southfield High School went a different direction with Glinz leading the charge.

It is unknown what Marshall will do this upcoming winter.

The Warriors will be a talented team led by all around sophomore forward Alexis Johnson. Johnson led the Blue Jays in scoring with 11.7 points per game and six rebounds per game. Also Southfield will have D'Layna Holliman return for her junior season. Holliman was second in scoring for the Blue Jays averaging nine and a half points per game and sophomore guard Rizaria Franklin is also back leading Southfield with 13 three pointers made and 106 total points last season.

The Chargers lost a lot of talent from a team that won the Red but lost in the Regional Final to Detroit Martin Luther King last season. Southfield does return all state guard Deja Church whom averaged 20 points per game last season but there are questions though referring to her status at Southfield. It is unknown if Church will be a Warrior or go elsewhere. If Marshall was the coach she would had likely stayed but it's unknown where Church stands with Glinz in charge.

Southfield will be challenged though this upcoming season because the former Blue Jays players were so used to playing games in the Blue but now they have to move up to play in the Red. The former Chargers besides Church did not play much last season thus bringing to life a new challenge. The Warriors will have to deal with the likes of Stoney Creek, Clarkston, North Farmington, and Adams. All of those teams will present different challenges to Southfield this upcoming season.

It will be an interesting season on Nine Mile and Lahser Road this winter for the ladies.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.