Saturday, May 2, 2020

Basketball Divisions are Out.

Written Saturday May 2nd at 2:00 PM

The MHSAA posted the OAA Basketball divisions this winter and with the addition of Ferndale University into the league. It would make things more competitive. Here are my thoughts on the divisions for Basketball.

Girls

Red

Clarkston
West Bloomfield
Royal Oak
Groves
Southfield Arts and Tech

EARLY THOUGHTS: This division looks to be very competitive especially with Clarkston and West Bloomfield being the top two teams. I think Southfield Arts and Tech will take a step back while Royal Oak looks to be solid. Groves has experience but with a new coach they could struggle a bit.

White

Stoney Creek
Bloomfield Hills
Adams
Troy
North Farmington

EARLY THOUGHTS: The early favorite is Troy in this division especially with who they have back. Adams and Stoney Creek will have strong says. Bloomfield Hills is a wildcard. North Farmington could have some struggles with a ton of inexperience.

Blue

Troy Athens
Berkley
Rochester
Lake Orion
Oxford
Avondale

EARLY THOUGHTS: The early favorite has to be Rochester in this very competitive division. The Falcons have a ton of talent back and had a district final appearance last season. I can't trust Avondale especially with program strength. Troy Athens lost a ton of talent from last season and could struggle. Lake Orion, Oxford, and Berkley have experience back as well. This division should be very interesting.

Gold

Ferndale
Ferndale University
Oak Park
Pontiac
Farmington
Seaholm

EARLY THOUGHTS: The early favorite has to be Farmington in this division. The Falcons were young last season and could have the talent to have a special season. Seaholm is the next team as they have some experience back but watch for Oak Park. The Knights had a good year last season but program strength is a question. Ferndale University won 11 games last season. Pontiac and Ferndale were both young squads last season hoping to get things turned around.


Boys

Red

Clarkston
West Bloomfield
North Farmington
Oak Park
Farmington
Ferndale

EARLY THOUGHTS: This looks to be an interesting division. The early favorite is Clarkston. The Wolves have a lot back plus program strength. West Bloomfield and North Farmington have a lot of talent coming back. Farmington comes up from the White has a ton of talent back as well. Oak Park and Ferndale will be very young but they have some returning players in the mix as well.

White

Adams
Troy
Southfield Arts and Tech
Groves
Stoney Creek
Bloomfield Hills

EARLY THOUGHTS: This division looks interesting. The early favorite is Troy but Stoney Creek will be a dark horse contender. Groves and Southfield Arts and Tech has experience coming back. Bloomfield Hills is a wildcard to keep an eye on. Adams could have another tough year looming.

Blue

Berkley
Oxford
Lake Orion
Troy Athens
Seaholm

EARLY THOUGHTS: This division has the makings of being very competitive. I see all five teams being in the mix all season long. All five teams have returning players which should make things interesting this season.

Gold

Rochester
Ferndale University
Pontiac
Royal Oak
Avondale

EARLY THOUGHTS: This division could be interesting. The early favorite is Rochester but Pontiac should be in the mix. Avondale has a ton of talent coming back which helps things. Royal Oak is a defensive first team. Ferndale University enters the league but they had a down season last year. It will be interesting to see but this could be a low as a two team race but as high as a four team race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.