Friday, April 26, 2019

Lake Orion has their new Boys Basketball Coach.

Written Friday April 26th at 2:00 PM

The Lake Orion Dragons have a new Boys Basketball coach and it’s a familiar name to the OAA.

Lake Orion Athletic Director Chris Bell named Pontiac coach Joel Schroeder to the same position replacing Jim Manzo who guided the program on two stints, one from 2000 until 2008 and then from 2015 until last season.

Schroeder who was at Pontiac for three seasons led the Phoenix to an 18-2 regular season record along with a district championship run. The Phoenix fell to New Haven in the regional final and finish 22-3 overall last season.

Bell said in a press release that Schroeder was the perfect fit for the program going forward. “His years of successful coaching experience, his ability to build a championship program, and his ability to work positively with high school athletes make Coach Schroeder a tremendous fit for Lake Orion High School.”

The Dragons went 13-9 overall last season with was tied for second in the Red (finished 12-8 in the regular season.) Lake Orion returns several key players who saw a ton of playing time in Drew Van Heck, Dylan Boegihemier, Cameron Sutton, Isiah Harris, and Jack Cummins to go along with a Junior Varsity that has some talent moving up.

Thoughts.

I think there is a lot to prove here on both sides.

For Schroeder coaching in the Red with a proven group and if he can get the players to buy in. He has never been in the Red. If the players and Schroeder are on the same page with this brutal schedule then who knows. The challenge for Schroeder will be is can he build the program the same way that Manzo did.

For the players having a new coach, adjusting to his system, and most of the players in the program has played Pontiac when they were in the Blue. It’s going to take an adjustment period for them to adapt to his system.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.