Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Fife retiring as Boys Basketball coach of the Wolves.

Written Tuesday September 11th at 2:10 PM
Updated to Include Between Taormina's Episode 104 on Tuesday September 11th at 10:40 PM

The Clarkston Wolves will have a new Boys Basketball coach this upcoming winter.

Dan Fife has told his players that he is retiring from coaching on Tuesday.

Fife whom is the third winningest all time coach in State history with a 703-170 record in his 36 years as coach of the Wolves, which is his Alma mater. Clarkston has won the last two State Championships under Fife’s watch.

Fife played basketball and baseball at Clarkston. He would play his college ball at Michigan and eventually played professional baseball for the Detroit Tigers and Minnesota Twins.

Fife returned to Ann Arbor and started to coach basketball as an assistant to then coach Johnny Orr.

He was also the Athletic Director until 2015 for his Alma Mater which is now currently occupied by Jeff Kosin, a former player who played for Fife.

Fife cited family reasons as the reason why he is retiring from Clarkston. He wanted to spend more time with his grandchildren.

Fife said to Mick McCabe of the Detroit Free Press that it was a hard decision and that he almost cried when he told his players.

Fife in his 36 years behind the Wolves bench has led the team to two State titles, 703 wins, 29 league titles, 30 district titles, 13 regional championships, and was the first ever freshman to play for Clarkston scoring 1,589 points as a player.

It is unknown who will be the next coach for the Wolves although according to sources it’s possible that coach Tim Waslik, former Clarkston Girls Basketball coach could be the front runner and he has been an assistant under Fife since he stepped down from coaching Girls Basketball in 2013.

Thoughts.

Fife wanted to go on his own terms and he did just that. He accomplished everything that he wanted to do whether it was playing or coaching.

I hope one day that Fife will get the gymnasium named after him. He has brought Clarkston to glory through hard work and dedication. Fife should be up there with the greats in the State of Michigan throughout all of high school sports.

He will certainly be missed and is truly an icon.

Here is the story from Mick McCabe of the Detroit Free Press


Here is Between Taorminas Episode 104 that featured Fife and former Lake Orion Girls Basketball and Athletic Director Bill Reiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKDiYwCiz_s

The Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-091718

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.