Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Ferndale has their new Boys Basketball Coach.

Written Wednesday April 25th at 1:50 PM
Updated Friday April 27th at 8:20 PM

The Blue just got tougher with the recent coaching hire at Ferndale.

The Eagles named Juan Rickman as their next Boys Basketball Coach according to State Champs Writer Scott Burnstein and confirmed by yours truly. Rickman replaces Tom Staton whom stepped down in March.

Rickman coached at Detroit East English Village Prep for three seasons and five at Detroit Crockett Tech before they merged with Detroit Finney to become Detroit East English Village Prep. He coached the Mr. Basketball State Finalist David DeJulius who is now heading to Michigan this winter along with Greg Elliot who is currently at Marquette and Karmai Newman who is now at Oakland. Rickman also led the Bulldogs to the Detroit Public School League title in 2016.

Rickman's Bulldogs gave the State Champs Clarkston their only loss of the season last year 80-71 at North Farmington.

He has been an honorable mention for MLive for the last four seasons.

Rickman does have Ferndale ties as he was in the REACH program growing up. The program was set up by Rashad Phillips father. Phillips would end up staring at the University of Detroit Mercy. Phillips also played at Ferndale during his high school years.

Rickman said to MLive's Jared Purcell that it was time for a change and go back to his roots. "It was just time. Honestly, it's just time to move on. When the Ferndale position came open, you know my father graduated from Ferndale and I grew up in Second New Hope, which is a church around the corner from Ferndale so I have Ferndale ties. I think the district is amazing. I think the principal, superintendent, and leadership are amazing there."

Ferndale whom has the smallest enrollment in the OAA (718 students) went 6-14 and 5-8 in the Blue losing to Clawson in the district semifinals last season. The Eagles took a major hit when Deondre Bonaparte transferred to Ecorse in the middle of the season to which they never truly recovered after that. Ferndale still has a boatload of talent for Rickman returning in seniors Keelan Lucas, Teonah McCethan, and Brian Polozo and a strong freshman class that will be sophomores that went 10-3 in the Blue as well.

Thoughts

This is a great hire for Ferndale. The Eagles took a bit of a hit last season and not lived up to their potential. Rickman is not only a proven winner but is a great teacher and a strong motivator.

I'm curious to see how Rickman's experience from the Detroit Public School League will carry over into the OAA especially having to go to places like Seaholm and Oxford. The OAA has some well established teams so it will be a challenge for Rickman's team to live up to expectations.

Ferndale will compete in the Blue next season with Oxford, Seaholm, Hazel Park, Berkley, Pontiac, Royal Oak, and Harrison. The Eagles will be in Division Two for the postseason as well likely dealing with Birmingham Detroit Country Day and Clawson.

Rickman said something interesting that I will address on the podcast to Purcell. It's about how different the Detroit Public School League and the OAA are and the coaching that is in the league. "It's different but it's still quality. There is still some good quality and I believe there are some good coaches in that league as well."

This move could be an indicator of where Ferndale's Athletic Director Shaun Butler wants to get his Eagles out of the Blue.

The Eagles got themselves a proven winner that is for sure.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

Here is the Purcell Story from MLive.

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-2842335412626701319/juan-rickman-leaving-east-english-to-take-over-ferndale-boys-basketball/

Soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-050118 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.