Friday, April 6, 2018

Ferndale Cleans House.

Written Friday April 6th at 6:00 PM

The Ferndale Eagles will be looking much different in 2018-2019 on the hardwood this fall and winter. Citing very accurate sources, Ferndale will be looking for new Boys Basketball, Girls Basketball, and Volleyball coaches.

Boys Basketball.

Tom Staton has stepped down again from Ferndale. Staton returned to coach the Eagles in 2015 and spent two seasons getting Ferndale back on track. He was a 1975 graduate of the school and coached the team to district titles from 2009-2010 to 2011-2012.

The Eagles this season finished at 6-14 losing to Clawson in the district semifinals 58-45. Ferndale did take some hits though as a ton of injuries and academic issues harmed the program. The Eagles also lost Deondre Bonaparte as he transferred out to Ecorse.

Ferndale will be loaded next season behind a strong senior and sophomore class led by Teonah McClendan, Keelan Lucas, and Brian Polozo. The future sophomore class went 10-3 for the Eagles this season.

Girls Basketball.

Christina Nagle has stepped down from coaching the Eagles Girls Basketball program. Nagle was in her first season coaching at Ferndale leading her team to a 4-13 record this season. The Eagles lost in the pre-district to Madison Heights Lamphere in the postseason.

Ferndale won't have a ton of experience coming back and will be looking for their third coach in three years. The Eagles will have Jaliyah Love, Kenisha Williams, and Kyra Newman coming back next season.

Volleyball.

Rachel Burnham has stepped down as coach of the Eagles Volleyball program. Burnham took over Ferndale in 2016 and has tried to get the Eagles into the days when she was a player and an interim coach in 2014 when Ferndale won a district title.

The Eagles so have some talent coming back and could make some noise next season. Ferndale really struggled in the Blue in league play going 2-4 and losing in the pre-district to Birmingham Detroit Country Day in the postseason.

Thoughts.

I'm surprised that Ferndale went this way and cleaned house. These three programs I thought were going up. I'll be curious what direction each program will be heading at especially the boys basketball program where there is plenty of talent there. Girls Basketball and Volleyball could be challenges ahead for whomever gets the jobs there.

Stay tuned to OAA Now for the latest on this developing story.

Here is the Soundcloud from the podcast that includes this story.
https://soundcloud.com/user-539915961/oaa-now-04-10-18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I have highest function of autism (Asperger Syndrome.) I'm a huge Dallas Stars fan. I like to play and watch football, especially when the Dragons play on Friday nights. I am a 2006 alum and used to play football for the Dragons. I ran track, I ran the 100, 200, 400 meter dashes along with shot-put and discus. During my time in Orion I was a manager for Junior Varsity Boys Basketball team. I'm the volleyball, girls basketball, and football announcer for the team and do the book on the road for girls basketball. I do the clock for volleyball in the fall along with girls basketball in the winter and announce some boys basketball games as well. In the spring I coach shot-put at Scripps Middle School, in my fifth season coaching. I run the shot-put for high school meets. I played Special Olympics Basketball, I've won three gold medals for them. I host "Between Taorminas" which is on ONTV along with a podcast called "OAA Now". In other various things outside of Lake Orion, I love to jet ski over Saginaw Bay. Saginaw Bay is basically my life. I'm a trained weather spotter for the National Weather Service for Oakland and Huron counties.